Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old September 25th, 2015, 06:08 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
moving user file problem

Trying to move a User file to another drive I find I can't "it's in use by the System" how do I do this.
Old September 26th, 2015, 03:12 PM

What do you mean by "user" file? Do you mean user account/profile files? That is typically not recommended. See Don't move your Windows user profiles folder to another drive.

If you just mean files a user created, then you should see what program has it opened and in use. If Windows itself, something could break if you do move it. You could also try booting into Safe Mode.
Old September 26th, 2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
What do you mean by "user" file? Do you mean user account/profile files? That is typically not recommended. See Don't move your Windows user profiles folder to another drive.

If you just mean files a user created, then you should see what program has it opened and in use. If Windows itself, something could break if you do move it. You could also try booting into Safe Mode.
Thanks,it was Userfolder, under New Volume C that I wanted to use to create space but having seen your warning will leave it.I,m trying to create space to load Win 10, I am .5 of a gig short.The prompt I had getting nearly all the way through, was we need 6 gi and there is only 5.5gb.I have read that Win 10 needs 2.5 gb also 3gb and also,now 6gb.Confusing isn,t it.

Last edited by lcyber; September 26th, 2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old September 26th, 2015, 06:44 PM

Yeah, you should probably look at other ways to free up space. Using Disk Cleanup will clean out the clutter. Uninstalling programs you installed but don't use can help too. If you have lots of photos, songs and videos, moving them to another drive will free up a lot of space. There are other options if you still need more.
Old September 26th, 2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah, you should probably look at other ways to free up space. Using Disk Cleanup will clean out the clutter. Uninstalling programs you installed but don't use can help too. If you have lots of photos, songs and videos, moving them to another drive will free up a lot of space. There are other options if you still need more.
I have done those things already I would like more options thanks
Old September 27th, 2015, 04:39 PM

You move your Page File to another drive and either have no PF on your boot drive, or make it a very small one. If you have none on your boot drive, your system will not be able to save any dump files should it crash.

You can also create a new Documents folder on your D drive, copy all your documents from the C:\Documents folder to the new folder, then tell Windows to use the new folder as the default. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/310147.

That said, it sounds like to me you should consider getting a bigger drive.
Old September 28th, 2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
You move your Page File to another drive and either have no PF on your boot drive, or make it a very small one. If you have none on your boot drive, your system will not be able to save any dump files should it crash.

You can also create a new Documents folder on your D drive, copy all your documents from the C:\Documents folder to the new folder, then tell Windows to use the new folder as the default. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/310147.

That said, it sounds like to me you should consider getting a bigger drive.
When I installed the ssd there was 11gb spare ,in order to try and keep it that way I put all docs ,music ,pics onto an external drive,reduced the pagefile to 512mb but still about 10 gb of rubbish has found it's way on
.I do a disk cleanup daily and also Ccleaner .This amount of rubbish does not appear to be anywhere I can see and get at it,do you have any ideas.In addition I have very few programmes.
Old September 28th, 2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
do you have any ideas
Get a bigger drive. Nothing else you do will be anything more than very temporary.