Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old October 9th, 2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
A real genuine full retail version would not require phone activation.
Unless it has been used and activated on-line multiple times, as is some times required after several hardware changes.
Old October 9th, 2014, 09:20 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Unless it has been used and activated on-line multiple times, as is some times required after several hardware changes.
true, though I was under the impression the key was new.
Old October 9th, 2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
though I was under the impression the key was new.
Or so they want us to believe.
Old October 9th, 2014, 09:52 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Or so they want us to believe.
That is why I would never purchase nor recommend purchasing an operating system from anyone other than Microsoft or their authorized dealers. You never really know what you are getting until it is too late. Might pay a bit more but at least you never have to worry about one day waking up and finding your computer locked because microsoft added a few new rules into their genuine testing. That is if you purchased the proper license for your computer.
Old October 10th, 2014, 06:47 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I threaten to file internet fraud, and to post anywhere I could find on their fraud. Since they are overseas, US can't touch them.
Old October 10th, 2014, 09:30 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I threaten to file internet fraud, and to post anywhere I could find on their fraud. Since they are overseas, US can't touch them.
microsoft can :-)
Old October 10th, 2014, 02:34 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Quote:
Good for you Murf.
I can't wait to hear what happens when you try to activate by phone. I hope for your sake that there's no issues, and no aggravation.
Old October 10th, 2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
microsoft can :-)
Not really. Just as the print publishers, and the music and movie industries before them tried, illegal distribution of copyrighted materials is just too rampant (and profitable ). And the problem is, it is just accepted as normal by many who seek it. It is just another form of smuggling - an ancient crime - still very successful today ($billion businesses).

It "IS" illegal in EVERY member nation of the United Nations and the European Union! It is a requirement they all abide by and respect the "Intellectual Property Rights" of copyrighted and registered materials coming out every member country. But the problem there is many countries do not have the resources ($$$$) to enforce the laws that already exist. If major governments cannot stop it, no way MS can, and stay profitable.

But sadly, and too often the case, the local government officials, or the entire governments are corrupt, deranged, evil, or _________ and turn a blind eye to the piracy, except to get their cut.

I really don't think your legal efforts will pay off, Murf. But I think the publicity and attention to the problem the sharing of your experiences is bringing sure will. I hope so anyway. And we can all help by spreading the word.
Old October 30th, 2014, 02:47 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
I just wanted everyone to know, since I was the thread starter, that I was able to get Windows 7 Ultimate through my University for only $49.99. I am currently enjoying it. However, I do not have Microsoft Office anymore. I downloaded Open Office and I will try it for awhile to check if it works for me since I am still doing some coursework for my professional development. It seems okay but I am still trying to figure out how to install a thesaurus in it.

Thank you everyone!
Old October 30th, 2014, 02:49 AM

Quote:
I tried that and they gave me the runabout. They said they need an error message so they can fix it instead of a refund. Luckily, Paypal worked on my case since it was still less than 30 days and gave back my refund after the seller failed to respond within 19 days of my complaint.

I hope yours will turn out okay Master Murf!
Old October 30th, 2014, 04:44 PM

A lot of students, faculty and even family of students can take advantage of student discounts.

As for OpenOffice, you might check out LibreOffice. It was developed by a bunch of programmers who used to develop for OpenOffice, but didn't like the direction the bosses were taking OpenOffice.
Old October 30th, 2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
A lot of students, faculty and even family of students can take advantage of student discounts.

As for OpenOffice, you might check out LibreOffice. It was developed by a bunch of programmers who used to develop for OpenOffice, but didn't like the direction the bosses were taking OpenOffice.
Thank you for the advice on LibreOffice! I will look at it as soon as I get home. I hope it is something that is compatible with MS Office because my instructors will be opening them in MS Word as well as PowePoint.

On Windows 7 Ultimate... what is so special about it compared to the others? I haven't seen anything obvious yet. The University had them at the same price with the other kinds and I thought this was the best version of it so I took it.
Old October 30th, 2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I hope it is something that is compatible with MS Office
It is. Ultimate has some extra features the vast majority of users don't need.
Old November 15th, 2014, 04:25 PM

I read an article on affordable ways to get Windows 7:

Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)
Old November 15th, 2014, 04:38 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
I read an article on affordable ways to get Windows 7:

Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)
Ed Bott is a good read all the time.