Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old September 2nd, 2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy
Where can I safely get Windows 7 64-bit for a good deal?
From Microsoft or any number of "authorized" distributors - such as Newegg.

But BEFORE even thinking of buying W7, you need to make sure your legacy hardware can support it by running the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.

Alternatively, you can install one of the many capable, and "free" versions of Linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf
From what I can tell its legal place os business.
Oh? I see nothing on that site to suggest any product sold there is sold legally.

They claim their products are 100% genuine Microsoft but anyone can make those claims. Genuine does not mean legal. A stolen BMW is still a genuine BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridanmudtrack
Windows 7 Key was a big hit for Microsoft
Windows 8 Key was a big hit for Microsoft
Office 2007 Key was a big hit for Microsoft
McAfee Product Key was a big hit for Microsoft
7 Key? 8 Key? 2007 Key? Those are product names and were big hits for MS? No. And McAfee is a MS product? And a big hit for Microsoft? Not hardly.

The site is registered out of Ohio. So I would think a legit business in an English speaking country would care about grammar. I note the following,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridanmudtrack
* Important Notice: One Key for One PC, please DO NOT OVERUSE THE KEY,unlimited times on activate the same computer even reinstall the system.
http://www.scamadviser.com/is-sherid...fake-site.html (see user comment).

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/sheridanmudtrack.com
Quote:
The sold Windows 7 (8) activation codes are counterfeits and after a period of about 3 months blocked by Microsoft. This is done with the new WAT update from February 2014 (kb971033).
https://www.fieldnation.com/groups/3...danmudtrackcom (scroll to top).

Last edited by Digerati; September 2nd, 2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 03:23 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Uh oh... I already ordered... bye-bye $30...
Old September 11th, 2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Uh oh... I already ordered... bye-bye $30...
Quick, dispute the Credit card payment, or if paypal they should honor a refund.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

By the way, if your computer is that old, is it capable of running 64bit?
Google on your machine, after you find out what processor it is.
Old September 11th, 2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
By the way, if your computer is that old, is it capable of running 64bit?
It should be noted that hardware was fully 64-bit ready YEARS before the software industry woke up. There was a 64-bit XP. And the AMD64 became available for consumer PCs in 2003 - though Intel and HP had a 64-bit CPU in 1999.

But implementation was dragged down by the software industry who refused to develop and code for 64-bit - primarily because the vast majority of 32-bit software will run fine in a 64-bit environment, and because RAM was so expensive, most folks could not afford more than 4Gb.

That said, even many hardware makers failed to provide 64-bit drivers for Windows 64-bit even though their own hardware was capable of it. But it cost money to develop and maintain support for both version.

It was only after RAM prices plummeted that users started demanding 64-bit support.

Still, you do bring up a point and littlebadboy, you do need to verify 64-bit drivers are available for your specific hardware.
Old September 12th, 2014, 12:28 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I really don't know if the site is legit or not and yes they are overseas. I used the Windows 7 key on 7 Jul on a friends computer, downloaded all the updates, and it is still getting the updates.

I use the Windows 8 key on this machine 20 Jul, then used MS to upgrade to Windows 8.1 for free. Still getting all the updates and no problems SO FAR. Guess time will tell.
Old September 12th, 2014, 04:14 PM

Even if these keys technically work, there is a moral issue involved. I am no saint, by any means , but if something is too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true, and thus should be avoided.

Look at Amazon prices for similar keys. How can "Sheridan Mud Track" sell legitimate Microsoft products at 1/5 the price of Amazon or Newegg?

And I note it uses Bit Torrents and eMule P2P sites to distribute their warez - though you can pay $5 more (why, I wonder?) to download from a HTTP download site. Microsoft does not use BT or P2P sites to distribute their software.

IMO, "public access" BT and P2P sites should be avoided at all costs - if you don't want your system infested. And there is a general consensus among my peers to avoid such sites as a user's primary security practice - because unauthorized software (including tunes, movies, and other "copyrighted" materials) OFTEN has been modified to incorporate malicious code!

I see this no different than shoplifting or buying stolen goods out of a dark alleyway. These "losses" hurt MS and McAfee and they hurt legitimate retailers too. And, as always, it is the legitimate consumers who end up paying more in the long run so makers and retailers can make up those losses. And worse, by purchasing via these unauthorized channels, we are rewarding the badguys!

I lived payday to payday for many years - often "with too much month at the end of the money". So I truly sympathize with those on tight budgets who may not be able to afford even Amazon's cheap prices - especially if they have children in school who need computer access. But, if budgets do not allow us to purchase legitimate software through authorized channels, that's no excuse, IMO, as there are plenty of legitimate and free alternatives for both Windows and Office we can use.
Old September 12th, 2014, 05:27 PM

After re-reading what I said above, I want to add that I am NOT in ANY way implying anyone here of "intentional" criminal intentions - so my apologies if it sounded that way.
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:05 PM

The only reason why I went ahead to buy this was because I thought it was genuine as they advertised on their website. I checked their website again and I noticed that they removed the word "Genuine" and used the term "original" instead. I also thought the price may be true because Windows 7 is on its way out. In fact, my University school has put Windows 7 "On Sale" for only $50. I should have gone that way.

I emailed the company and demanded a refund. I mentioned that the keys they are selling may not be original and I do not condone the use of counterfeit software. I have not used the key yet or installed anything.

They replied asking "what is the error so they can fix it" in bad English. I said that there is no error but I have read bad reviews and suspect that the keys are not for genuine Windows 7 and gave them an ultimatum until Monday or else I will bring the case up with Paypal and Microsoft.

Last edited by littlebadboy; September 14th, 2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:22 PM

Well, good luck with that and please keep us posted. Sadly, even though all member states of the United Nations (and the EU) have agreed, and are bound to abide by established international IP (intellectual property) protection and copyright laws, many of these nations either don't have the resources to enforce those laws or, they simply turn a blind eye while lining their pockets with bribe money.

So there is not much, if anything, Microsoft can do. And it seems their policy is to keep things low-key to avoid giving any of these sites, and their warez, any publicity. So while MS will take your Counterfeit Software Report, it is not likely you will get any resolution through them.

PayPal, on the other hand, can pull back the money - IF you act quickly.
Old September 25th, 2014, 04:26 PM

I filed my dispute with paypal on Sept. 14th. Since they have not received any reply from the seller within a 10-day period, the dispute was ruled in my favor and my money refunded.

Now... time to search for a good Windows 7 deal again!

Thank you Digerati! Thank you everyone!
Old September 25th, 2014, 05:37 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
I'm glad you were able to get a refund from Pay Pal.
Here's a deal from Tiger Direct, not bad even though you'll have to wait for a rebate.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...d_26_M17-7302A
Old September 25th, 2014, 08:17 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPR512 View Post
I'm glad you were able to get a refund from Pay Pal.
Here's a deal from Tiger Direct, not bad even though you'll have to wait for a rebate.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...d_26_M17-7302A
that bundle is OEM, it CANNOT be used on a computer that already has an operating system on it. It CANNOT be used to upgrade. It can ONLY be legally used on a computer that never had an operating system on it or the motherboard was just replaced.
Old September 25th, 2014, 09:49 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
that bundle is OEM, it CANNOT be used on a computer that already has an operating system on it. It CANNOT be used to upgrade. It can ONLY be legally used on a computer that never had an operating system on it or the motherboard was just replaced.
My mistake, I didn't see that.
Old September 25th, 2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
On that note...

My University which is selling Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate upgrade for less than $50 shows me this chart:

Since I have Windows XP and intends to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate and it says "custom installation requred", would this mean that this Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate upgrade will not work for me?
Old September 25th, 2014, 10:49 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
If it says custom install, it means it will wipe the drive and install from scratch. You will not be able to upgrade but you can use a legit upgrade disk. You will need to backup any files you cannot afford to lose, and you will have to reinstall all your other programs.

One thing to note, you cannot wipe the drive yourself, let the windows upgrade disk wipe the drive as part of the install. The upgrade disk requires a genuine and activated copy a os installed.