Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old July 21st, 2014, 02:24 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Sorry, I ordered the battery. It will be here this week. It's funny, these Cr2032 batteries show that they are for watches, calc, medical devices, but no mention of PC's. But its the correct number.

The keyboard is wired to the PS/2 port (it came with the PC). But I have tried a different one with the usb port and had the same problem. The mouse is wired to a usb port.

This morning the mouse worked but the keyboard would not work so I rebooted. When it came up the keybd would work but the mouse was dead. So I rebooted a second time and they both worked.
Old July 21st, 2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
It's funny, these Cr2032 batteries show that they are for watches, calc, medical devices, but no mention of PC's.
Well, these "wafer" batteries, including the CR2032, were used in all sorts of electronics like watches, calculators, cameras, medical and other devices LONG BEFORE they were ever used to keep CMOS modules alive on motherboards. So it maybe odd that site has not updated the description, but it is not really a surprise computers are not listed.

What I really find odd is you had to order it. These are very common batteries and can typically be found almost anywhere that has a battery/camera/watch counter, including Wal-mart, Home Depot, or your local grocery store. Even the Kwik Shops (7-11 type convenience stores) here in my area carry them. I suspect you had to pay more in postage than you paid for the battery.

When it comes in, I recommend following this procedure. As ALWAYS, shut down Windows, power off the computer, and UNPLUG the computer from the wall. This is essential to remove the +5Vsb standby voltage being supplied to the motherboard any time the PSU is plugged into the wall (and, if your PSU is so equipped, the master power switch on back of the PSU is set to "on" or "1").

Then open the case and touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any destructive static potentials (voltage) in your body. Do NOT touch the new battery with your bare fingers. Skin oils promote corrosion and attract dust. I put a clean cotton sock over my hand.

Clean the innards of heat trapping dust, if necessary, route cables to minimize impacting the desired front-to-back air flow through the case, then verify all cables, inside and out, are securely attached. Connect power and boot the computer directly into the BIOS Setup Menu. Set date and time, verify/set correct boot order, then Save and Exit to boot normally.

Then "hurry up and wait" to see what happens with sleep/waking up.
Old July 21st, 2014, 11:24 PM

I could have purchased the battery in Walmart but I saw something on the package that made me think it might not be for computers (they were not shown as using these and I was confused with the "use by" date which appeared to be a person sitting at a PC with a circle and line thru it). Anyway, it was buy 3 for about $5. I came home and after viewing several online convinced myself which one to order (no shipping, just $2.50 for 2). Once received I will load per your note, which is essentially what I did before. Thanks for your help.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
"use by" date which appeared to be a person sitting at a PC with a circle and line thru it
Unlike AAA batteries which can be lead-acid, alkaline, or Lithium, CR2032 is CR2032. There is only one type; Lithium. If the board uses a CR2032, you can [in theory] use any CR2032 - but I tend to stick with the common brands; Energizer, Duracell, etc.

What was the brand? I have a couple packages from Energizer here and I think I see the picture you are talking about. But as I look at it carefully, it appears to be a baby in a diaper trying to reach for a AAA type battery. And that seems to go along with the very first cautionary warning on the back of the package that says in BIG BOLD letters: KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote:
(no shipping, just $2.50 for 2)
With no shipping, that's a great price - assuming new and a known brand. That should take some of the sting out of having to wait for delivery. That said, I wish I could say that will fix your problem, but all it really does for sure is eliminate the old battery as a suspect.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 04:06 PM

It was:

Energizer Watch/Electronic Batteries, 3 Volts, 2032, 2 batteries (Lithium Button Cell)
Sold by West Distribution
Condition: New $2.54

Baby in a diaper, I can see that now. I just couldn't figure it out. I WAS wondering about the bubble on the bottom of the sitting person.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 04:11 PM

Keybd wouldn't awaken my PC from sleep this AM. I touched the power button on the computer and it awoke. The keybd worked then but the mouse was dead (it had light at first but then died). I unplugged the mouse and replugged to usb, the PC loaded driver software and it worked.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 02:23 PM

Well, sorry that did not fix it, but at least we learned about babies and lithium batteries.

I think this is still a USB issue and I would be scanning your motherboard manual for BIOS Setup Menu options that deal with that.

I note many chipsets support "USB Charging" when in "standby mode" (computer turned off, but still plugged into the wall). This allows you to plug your phone, for example, into a USB port to charge the phone while the computer is in standby. But it also keeps your attached devices alive.

Note too the function of the power button is set in the BIOS Setup Menu too. You can typically change its function to Reset, or hold for 4 seconds to shutdown, or instant off - (or something like that), and/or to wake.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:32 PM

Sorry Digerati, I did not mean to imply that I have installed a new battery yet. It will arrive Thur or Fri. As this problem has gotten worse over time (more and more often for the keybd, and then the mouse started), perhaps it is the battery as you suggested. Hopefully will know soon. Thanks for your help!
Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:41 PM

Well, keep us posted.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 08:04 PM

My new battery came in the mail but unfortunately I still have the problem. My PS/2 keybd is dead at the moment so I'm typing with a usb kybd plugged in. I'll see if I can find a BIOS manual. There don't really seem to be many things that I can change in the BIOS screen.
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:35 PM

Well, I am sorry that did not fix it, but it least it did not break the bank to figure that out. Electronics tend to last a long time, but they do wear out - eventually - if not retired before their time. Years of electrons banging through circuits, creating friction along the way (even in the best conductors) takes it toll. It may be time for a hardware upgrade.
Old July 27th, 2014, 06:34 PM

I've uninstalled all usb ports and the problem persists. I have a similar tower that I will probably put the HD in to see if its the HD or other hardware causing the problem.
Old July 27th, 2014, 07:08 PM

Just make sure you install the drive as a secondary drive, not the boot drive as the installed drivers will be different, and to avoid Windows licensing issues.
Old July 27th, 2014, 10:46 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
what happens if you wait, say five- ten minutes after waking up with the mouse/keybaord is not working. Also you never did say if you tried some of the fixes in the link I previously gave you.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 04:15 AM

Memory bd issue

Well, I think my PC keybd and mouse problem may be gone. Initially, the keybd would not operate on wakening. After a month or so, the mouse started doing the same thing. Only a reboot would bring them to life. A week or so later, even the reboot would take 3 tries before they came to life. During all this time I had tried other keybds and mice, run anti-malware software, registry cleaners, uninstalled and reinstalled all drivers and USB ports, run memory and BIOS diagnostics, replaced the CMOS battery, and all to no avail. Finally, I pulled by hard drive out of the tower and placed it in another. The problem seems to be resolved since I’ve had no incidents today. I’m assuming the problem was in the motherboard. Since it progressively got worse over time I would guess it was a hardware problem on the motherboard as opposed to firmware but I’m no tech expert. I’m just hoping I’m done with this problem.

Anyone out there know how expensive a motherboard is?

Thanks for everyone’s input.