Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old July 21st, 2013, 06:48 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Registry CleanUp

I once thought about development again so I installed Visual Studio, Visual C++, Visual Basic. Others came with the download. I did all the UnInstalls, YET I found in the Register entries pointing to these apps. CCleaner will not find them. I know these MAY or MAY NOT cause me any problems, but I like to keep a clean system. Are there any suggestions on COMPLETE cleanup?
Thanks.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:11 PM

You say CCleaner (assuming you mean CCleaner's Registry cleaner) will not find them, I suggest CCleaner does, but has determined they are harmless and do not impact performance in any way.

The question is, what pointed to those apps and what did the entries cause Windows to do? Many Registry entries are simply MRUs - harmless lists of "most recently used" programs, or lists of file locations. Orphaned entries only matter if they task Windows to do something - like start a service that nothing needs. Or check for updates to a program no longer installed.

I am not vehemently opposed to Registry cleaners as some are. But NO DOUBT, Registry cleaners can turn a computer into a brick, if not careful. I ONLY use CCleaner, and no other Registry cleaner simply because it is NOT an aggressive cleaner. Plus, it always prompts to backup the Registry before making changes (not to mention, CCleaner has been around for over 10 years, giving Piriform lots of time to ensure CCleaner is safe and reliable - when used properly).

If you really want to make your Registry more "tidy", back it up and delete the unwanted entries and see what happens. But you need to be sure they are not needed by something else, and be ready to do a full restore. I would suggest you make a current image backup, just in case.

Or, better yet, just leave it alone and don't worry about it.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:46 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
How do you know those entries are from the programs you uninstalled? They could be parts of other installed programs. IMO, leave them alone since they will not make any difference in the speed and effectiveness of your computer.

In the past, I regulary used ace utilities as a registry cleaner. It was one that I actually purchased. never had a problem with it. However, I have seen many who used it and had to reinstall their os. I now only use ccleaner, not for the registry cleaning but to get rid of temporary files.

Registry cleaners only seem to be effective because most will also delete temporary files. By deleting temporary files, it clears your harddrive and empties your temporary folders making your computer run more efficent. However if there is some underlying problem with your system that you do not know about, then a registry cleaner could cause major issues. If you insist on using a registry cleaner, make sure you create a restore point yourself instead of relying on the software to do it for you.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:36 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Thanks for the responses. Is there a way to trace the entries in the Registry to find if in fact they are tied to active progams? This is a concern I also have had.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:20 PM

It depends on the entry. Some are very cryptic (and more the reason to leave them alone). I think your apparent intense desire (obsession?) to dig into the Registry like this is not healthy - for you or your computer. A monster, overstuffed Registry might take up a couple 100 megabytes. And because of how Windows uses the Registry, orphaned entries do not affect performance, reliability, stability, or security in any way.

I don't use, and never recommend a cleaner to "fix" a broken Windows.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 11:03 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommended - by Broni, Malware Annihilator
Quote:
Registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommended for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:51 AM
Banned

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Most time, you are suggested to leave these entries alone. Or you can use a tool that will back up your whole registry first.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 02:16 PM

And therein lies the problem.

Since most are in a hurry, they simply click [Clean].
Old August 3rd, 2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
And therein lies the problem.

Since most are in a hurry, they simply click [Clean].
I disagree as the better programs, the ones I have personal experience with such as CCleaner, prompt the user to make a backup first.

I think it is time to let the past go and stop quoting 8 year old articles. Registry cleaners from the major players (Piriform, Comodo, Auslogics, Glary) have been around for nearly a decade, or longer - and used successfully by millions and millions of users.

I would MUCH rather an inexperienced user use one of these programs than go digging around with Regedit - which does NOT prompt for a backup - in fact, it does not even have "Backup" in its menus - only Export, which is not very descriptive.

"Marketing fluff" - that is, claims of vastly improved performance is just that, fluff. But that does not make it evil any more than Honda, Toyota, Nission, Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, Audi, or BMW all claiming to make the best cars - things that can be used as deadly weapons, BTW - by careless idiots and professional drivers alike.

It is time to stop dissing products we have never used just because a few users had problems, misused the products - or because a product comes with risks.

Lawnmowers chop off feet, catch fire, and destroy hearing. Does that mean we don't send our (older) kids out to mow lawns? Of course not. We teach them how to take the necessary precautions and mow safely.

There are 100s of rogue and malicious [so-called] anti-malware programs promising to rid our systems of malware. Does that mean we avoid all anti-malware programs? Of course not.

And for the record, I have used CCleaner's cleaner on dozens of systems, my own and my clients computers for 10 years and never, not once, has it broken, or made worse, a single computer - ever!

Can I say the same thing about "legitimate" anti-malware programs after scanning? Nope! But I still use anti-malware programs and scan systems regularly.

Can I say the same thing about "legitimate" backup and recovery programs? Nope. But I still backup my computers. Just as I still backup the Registry every time I use CCleaner's Registry cleaner - just in case I have a power supply or drive failure while cleaning.

I am NOT pretending Registry cleaners are the panacea for all computer woes. They definitely are not! In fact, I have repeatedly said they are NOT to be used to "fix" a broken Windows - but to "maintain" Windows in good working order. They (again, those from the reputable makers) are not the evil monsters others pretend they are.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 03:32 PM

The risks outweigh the benefits.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 05:10 PM

Experience and history suggests otherwise - again, with millions and millions happy users as proof.

I am NOT saying the benefits are great - I am saying the risks are not. If the risks were as bad as you portend, forums and repair shops would be deluged with computers damaged by these programs. As a regular forum helper, and as a computer technician for many years, it's not happening!

Exceptions don't make the rule.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 05:26 PM

The risks are great, and forums are having to deal with the results. As a regular forum helper, and as a computer technician (and former MVP) for many years (1984), I'm afraid it is continuing to happen.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I'm afraid it is continuing to happen.
So you let a few exceptions rule your life? NO! You cannot continue to totally ignore the fact millions and millions of users have had no problems whatsoever using a good conservative cleaner like CCleaner.

People are chopping off their feet with lawnmowers too. And zapping RAM and CPUs and motherboards with ESD. Overclocking without controlling (or even thinking about) heat. Not to mention clicking on unsolicited downloads, links and attachments. Or using torrents for illegal file sharing. Or getting hit by a drunk running a stop sign. Or have their identities and data stolen or compromised due to "human error" - failing to keep their systems secure.

Yet we still mow our lawns, replace RAM, mess with speeds and download from links. And we still drive our cars and use our computers.

I never - as in NEVER EVER - said they were risk free. I am saying the constant and immediate condemnation EVERY TIME someone mentions "Registry cleaner" is unwarranted - the numbers don't match your highly exaggerated claims.

And while I appreciate your former MVP award, we both know that does mean either of us are Registry experts - or even computer experts.

And while forums do include cases where a Registry cleaner led to more problems, in most cases, they were used incorrectly - and inappropriately - as in an attempt to fix a broken computer, rather than to maintain a working computer.

A Honda mechanic sees nothing but broken Hondas all day. That does not mean Hondas are bad cars.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post

And while forums do include cases where a Registry cleaner led to more problems, in most cases, they were used incorrectly - and inappropriately.
And therein lies the problem. The risks outweigh the benefit.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:13 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
but you dont want a novice or someone who does not know what they are doing repairing hondas. you dont want novices or someone who does not know what they are doing running a registry cleaner.

Last edited by renegade600; August 3rd, 2013 at 06:42 PM.