Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old April 11th, 2013, 04:19 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Desktop backround disappeared

I was screwing around with something in the task manager and my desktop disappeared. All my icons are there, but not the background. I tried right clicking the desktop and all it shows are blank thumbnails where the thumbnails of the background pics should be. I'm not sure what I did, but if someone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Thanx

Jim
Old April 12th, 2013, 02:00 PM

I'd reboot.
Old April 12th, 2013, 04:23 PM

I've rebooted several times. That didn't help.

Jim
Old April 12th, 2013, 08:56 PM

Since I wrongly assumed we were talking about the computer in your sig in your other thread, and you've told us nothing of your computer in this thread, I won't assume anything here.

We need more information before going further.
Old April 12th, 2013, 09:59 PM

It's windows 7 32-bit on an Emachines T5254. 2GB of RAM. 40 GB Hard Drive.

Jim
Old April 13th, 2013, 02:24 PM

Try this: Microsoft FixIt - Fix broken desktop shortcuts and common system maintenance tasks
Old April 14th, 2013, 12:10 AM

Thank you for your suggestion Digerati, but that didn't help. I think what I did was I ended the process "Windows Explorer" in the Task Manager. Then when I rebooted the desktop was black. I have all my icons, however like I said I'm having trouble changing it to anything but that.

Jim
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I think what I did was I ended the process "Windows Explorer" in the Task Manager. Then when I rebooted the desktop was black.
Ending Windows Explorer in TM should not have caused this type problem.

Do you have a Restore Point from a day or two before this started?
Old April 14th, 2013, 07:02 PM

Yes I do and I tried system restore, but that didn't help either.

Thanx

Jim
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:45 PM

Well, I am afraid I am at a loss. I note you said you have 40Gb hard drive. That leaves very little space after Windows is installed, and even less space once you start using Windows and install other apps.

How much free disk space do you have? Have purged the HD of clutter? Have you scanned for malware?
Old April 15th, 2013, 03:39 PM

I have 4.8GB of free space. I keep all my systems pretty clean. And yes I frequently scan for malware using ESET, Antimalwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials. When I do system restore it only gives me a date that is a couple of days old. How do I go back farther than that?

Thanx for trying.

Jim
Old April 15th, 2013, 04:03 PM

You can't go back further than the oldest restore point. And you likely don't have any older restore points because you are almost critically low on free disk space. Windows has a very restricted amount of elbow room (temporary work space) to work in and I suspect that is much of your problem.

Severely hampering things further is your very limiting amount of RAM. With only 2Gb of RAM, Windows and your CPU are forced to spool data out to your page file on the slow hard drive frequently, and your PF is already being cramped by the small amount of free disk space. It may be further hampered if that tiny amount of free disk space is fragmented.

You need to free up some space on your drive by uninstalling programs you installed but don't need, replace your drive with a bigger drive, or install a second drive and move some of the data to it.
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:32 AM

OK. Thank you for your suggestions Digerati.

Jim
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:37 AM

Hi, with only 4+ gb left on the HDD you are seriously compromised, you do need to get a larger drive, 40 gb was fine 12 years ago. When you stopped the explorer process it is most likely the Icon cache was corrupted, you can rebuild it, however you really do need to get a larger HDD.

2 gb Ram on a 32 bit is for most users fine. I would not bother increasing this, you will not notice the difference, spend the money on a new hdd.
Old April 16th, 2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
2 gb Ram on a 32 bit is for most users fine. I would not bother increasing this, you will not notice the difference, spend the money on a new hdd.
I agree more disk space is the first priority but I strongly disagree that more RAM will not improve performance noticeably. Bumping RAM to 4Gb will provide a very noticeable performance boost with Windows 7. This is especially true with motherboards using integrated graphics.

Sure, Windows 7 will run with 2Gb, but performance will be hampered.