Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old December 29th, 2010, 04:12 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
I'm going to disable the onboard and throw in an old vid card,
Did you go back in and re-enable the onboard video when you were done?
Old December 29th, 2010, 04:55 AM

Found Catalyst Control, the 3300 isn't showing up there. The 4600 has a 2nd display showing, I disabled it and reenabled. Nothing happened.
Old December 29th, 2010, 04:56 AM

Sorry, didn't see your post before replying. The card isn't in the device manager to reenable it.
Old December 29th, 2010, 08:36 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
The card isn't in the device manager to reenable it.
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you need to enable/disable onboard video in the bios? If it's not enabled in the bios, windows won't load the drivers for it. If it is enabled in the bios, and windows still doesn't pick it up, open device manager, right click the very first entry (usually the name of the pc), and select scan for hardware changes see if windows will then pick it up. (it should either pick up the card or an unknown device, then it's a matter of reinstalling the drivers.

Quote:
The 4600 has a 2nd display showing, I disabled it and reenabled. Nothing happened.
Thats because that card has "dual head" output (in laymans terms it can run 2 monitors independently). You need to have a monitor plugged into the other port to be able to enable it.
Old December 29th, 2010, 03:36 PM

I wasn't able to find any settings in the bios that seemed to relate to video settings of any sort. But, I went ahead and reset the default values for the bios which should've reset it back on; to no avail. Scanning for new hardware came up with nothing.

Yeah, it is dual-head; but it's keeping the 2nd monitor on and I can't seem to disable it. Which would be great, except the connection (dvi I believe) I don't have a hookup for.
Old December 29th, 2010, 03:59 PM

Unhooked the 4600 and the 3300 reappeared with the drivers. When I hooked up the 4600 again the 3300 disappeared. I have a few idea to mess with it but I'm off to work. Any ideas lemme know.
Thanks
Old December 29th, 2010, 04:55 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Unhooked the 4600 and the 3300 reappeared with the drivers. When I hooked up the 4600 again the 3300 disappeared.
Thats because the Primary Video Controller setting in the bios is now set to GFX0-GPP-IGFX-PCI,(default value) it needs to be set to IGFX-GFX0-GPP-PCI, that setting should allow you to run the cards as separate display devices, or enable crossfire
You'll find the Graphics settings on the advanced page of the bios under the NorthBridge2 Chipset configuration. (check page 3-21 of the mainboard manual for the settings).

Quote:
Yeah, it is dual-head; but it's keeping the 2nd monitor on and I can't seem to disable it.
If there isn't a monitor hooked to the port it is disabled by default.(if I'm reading your posts correctly, you have one monitor hooked to the onboard graphics and the other hooked to the 4600. Graphics cards can only control the monitors that are physically connected to it.)

Last edited by MaDef; December 29th, 2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old December 29th, 2010, 05:09 PM

Went in and looked, leaving immediately after this post.

Northbridge Config (Not northbridge 2) has ECC with some preset settings. Nothing relating to the switch requested.

There's also RS780D with..
Internal Graphics
PCI-E Config
Primary Display Adapter

I was unable to find anything resembling what needed to be changed.
Old December 29th, 2010, 06:44 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
There's also RS780D with..
Internal Graphics
PCI-E Config
Primary Display Adapter
This is where all the graphics settings are in the bios.
Old December 30th, 2010, 04:16 AM

While it's deeply unfortunate that I'm kind of a dummy, I do vastly appreciate all the help you've given me. If you'd like a couple bucks via paypall or whatever I'd be more than happy to throw a few your way.

Again, thanks a billion for your help.

~Keith
Old December 30th, 2010, 04:27 AM

And spoke a minute too soon. First video I watched after getting it fixed and the screeching thing happens.
Old December 30th, 2010, 05:12 AM
CTH Subscriber

first off, are your sound drivers up-to date (latest available)?
does the screech happen as soon as you start a video? or does it take a few minutes to begin? Is it only when certain types of videos are played or from certain sources (network, cd/dvd drive, hard drive)? does it happen with any sounds that are played (mp3, wave, etc) or only while playing videos?
open a run box and type in dxdiag check the sound tab. under the notes section, are there any problems listed?

I'm assuming you're using the on-board sound? What speakers/sound devices are you using? Are your speakers plugged into the front jacks, back jacks or the optical jack?
Old December 30th, 2010, 05:18 AM

I'll check.

It varies, there seems to be no particular time that it happens. In this case, it was nearly at the end of the video (a few minutes in), generally it happens during flash videos regardless of source. It also happens while gaming.

I haven't experienced it with just audio.

No problems under the sound tabs.

Yeah, onboard. Speakers to the jacks in the back. The jacks in the front a pretty much reserved for my headset.
Old January 1st, 2011, 04:02 AM
CTH Subscriber

do you get the noise when listening through your headset? Since it seems to be flash related, try UN-installing the flash player (via control panel/programs and features), and reinstalling it, You may also want to clean out your temporary Internet cache files. (you can do that through your browser settings or by using Ccleaner).
Old January 1st, 2011, 06:58 PM

Sorry, been busy with the holiday weekend. Gonna look again today but my previous searching for audio driver updates came up empty.

Yes, it also does it through the headset.

I'll give that a shot this afternoon.