Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old December 26th, 2010, 03:57 AM

A few problems

Specs:
Mainboard: Asus M4A78T-E
Chipset: AMD 790GX
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 925e @ 2800MHz
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
Network Card: Attansic (Now owned by Atheros) AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCIe Ethernet Controller
Network Card: ADMtek AN983 FastNIC PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7600 (32-bit)
DirectX: Version 11.00

Problems:
1-I get lots of DirectX x.x missing or graphics card unable to run Direct X.

2-The PC locks up and screeches, particularly but not limited to while watching streaming videos. Flash player, usually.

3-The network card disappears frequently upon waking from hibernation and upon restarts.

I'm ok with software, hardware is not my specialty. Thanks in advance,
~Keith
Old December 26th, 2010, 07:58 AM
CTH Subscriber

Are you using the on-board video? If not what is the card model? And are the drivers updated?
How much system memory is installed?
What directx version is installed? Have you tried reinstalling directx?
Can you localize the "screeches"? Take the side panel off, boot the pc and watch the fans, make sure they spin like they should. Leave the side open and the next time you hear the "screech" see if you can locate where it's coming from.

Quote:
The network card disappears frequently upon waking from hibernation and upon restarts.
Could be a problem with the power settings. Open device manager, double click the entry for your network card, on the "power managment" tab untick "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". also check the settings for the NIC (if it's there) under your current power plan set it for max performance.
Old December 26th, 2010, 11:39 AM

Yes, the on-board is my 2nd monitor.
2 gigs of ram.
Direct X 11.
I have update DirectX at least a half dozen times, I was at 10 for awhile, under some advice that may make it work.
The screech comes from the speakers.

I tried tweaking the power settings to no avail in the past. I have made the adjustments you suggested and will report back upon your reply or if the performances adjusts positively.
Old December 26th, 2010, 11:45 AM

Sorry, and yes the drivers are updated, at least so windows update tells me.
Old December 26th, 2010, 06:18 PM
CTH Subscriber

If you could post your complete system specs, It might make things easier, that way I can see all the hardware involved. (use my signature as a guide to the information we need.
Quote:
Yes, the on-board is my 2nd monitor.
You're using dual monitors with the onboard graphics? No added video cards?
Quote:
Direct X 11.
I have update DirectX at least a half dozen times, I was at 10 for awhile, under some advice that may make it work.
The onboard video does not support DX11, (and that maybe the crux of your problems, at least for video & sound). You need to remove DX11 and reinstall DX10 to see if the problems resolve themselves.

Quote:
3-The network card disappears frequently upon waking from hibernation and upon restarts.
Which network card disappears, and is there a reason you have 2 nics installed? Are you using ICS (internet connection sharing)?

Quote:
yes the drivers are updated, at least so windows update tells me.
The only thing windows update does, is update windows. It doesn't update 3rd party hardware drivers.

Here's the link to your motherboard @ ASUS:
M4A78T-E support

Click the download tab on the page and select windows 7 as your OS, NOT windows 7 64bit.

Get the updated drivers for chipset, audio,and LAN, and install them. Don't worry about any of the other downloads @ this point.
Old December 26th, 2010, 09:30 PM

Here's everything CPUID lists, let me know if there's anything else you need. I think that's everything under your siggy.

Mainboard : Asus M4A78T-E
Chipset : AMD 790GX
Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 925e @ 2800MHz
Physical Memory : 2048MB (2 x 1024 DDR3-SDRAM )
Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
Hard Disk : Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 ATA Device (500GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B
CD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22LS50 ATA Device
Monitor Type : E15T4W - 15 inches
Monitor Type : AOC International LM742 - 17 inches
Network Card : Attansic (Now owned by Atheros) AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCIe Ethernet Controller
Network Card : ADMtek AN983 FastNIC PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7600 (32-bit)
DirectX : Version 11.00
Windows Performance Index : 5.0 on 7.9

________
GPU #1 : ATI Radeon HD 3300 Graphics (384MB) (On-board)
GPU #2 : ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (1024MB) (Installed)

________
I'm going to disable the onboard and throw in an old vid card, specs on that to come but pretty sure that can take direct x 11. Gonna try that first before reverting to 10 again.

________
Next time it happens I'll go through the device managed and look at what's there. The 2nd one is no longer in the system, and was installed in an attempt to bypass the problem.

_______
Windows update has updated other drivers on the PC, particularly the video card on several occasions.

The chipset extraction had over 30 error (corruption), however I was able to run the update for the driver.

All other drivers installed without complication. Shutting down to install old vid card.
Old December 26th, 2010, 09:47 PM

Ok, network issue persists. Disabled the old one.

Old vid card seems to have taken a dump. Removing and reverting to DirectX 10 for the time being, at least.
Old December 26th, 2010, 10:25 PM

Got some images from Device manager and CPUID while the network card was missing up restart, however it doesn't appear to provide any fruitful info. Will post images/info if request, but simply there isn't anything in the device manager about the network adapter.
Old December 27th, 2010, 05:05 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
The chipset extraction had over 30 error (corruption), however I was able to run the update for the driver.
I Don't like the sound of that, do you remember the
the wording for those errors?

Your Radeon 4600 supports DX10, not sure about DX11.
(I'm really starting to think your video problem is linked to DX11)
I Don't know alot about the hybrid crossfire since I've never played with one, I'm not sure what your gaining by using crossfire in this case. It looks like you've set up a multi-media server/pc of sorts going by the number of optical drives.

After you revert back to dx10, give an update. (I'm a bit curious if thats what the issue is.) And if it's sorted itself out, we can look at the network card.

Quote:
Ok, network issue persists. Disabled the old one.
I take it the "old" one is the onboard nic?
Old December 27th, 2010, 05:30 AM

Ran it again, less errors this time but here's what it gave me. This is from the generic setup.exe in the AR81FamilyWinSetup_V10045_WHQL-

! C:\Users\DaBethum\Desktop\Stuff\AR81FamilyWinSetup _V10045_WHQL.zip: CRC failed in _setup.dll. The file is corrupt
! C:\Users\DaBethum\Desktop\Stuff\AR81FamilyWinSetup _V10045_WHQL.zip: The archive is corrupt

It basically said that for all of them, when all of them showed up before. And windows chimed in with..

>SetupNew\setup.cpp (135)
PAPP:
PVENDOR:
PGUID:
$14.0.0.162
@Windows Vista Service Pack 0 (7600) Non EI/Netscape 17202.42

The third optical drive is a virtual mount.

So far, the revert back to X10 has gone without issue but sometime she will run without crashing for a few days but fingers crossed. I tried pushing it with Fallout NV running and watching vids but it had no troubles.

No, the on-board NIC is the one I'm using, the old one is literally an old one that I threw in to try and bypass the networking problem.
Old December 27th, 2010, 05:07 PM
CTH Subscriber

The error looks like the download was corrupt. you can try again (could have been network congestion causing dropped packets) or try one of the other download links to get the file.

but before doing that, run chkdsk /r just to make sure the drive isn't "dirty", and the cause of the CRC errors.

1. Press windows key + r
2. Type cmd in the run box, press enter
3. Type chkdsk /r in the command window, press enter
4. Answer yes to both questions that follow, exit the window and reboot the system.
5. chkdsk will run during startup, and check/repair corrupted files on the drive.

Quote:
So far, the revert back to X10 has gone without issue but sometime she will run without crashing for a few days but fingers crossed. I tried pushing it with Fallout NV running and watching vids but it had no troubles.
If the issue returns, we'll have to look @ drivers next.

Unless you're using the added nic, you should probably just pull it.
Old December 28th, 2010, 04:26 AM

While the original download was crappy, I did manage to run and install the drivers from that with no difficulty. What I needed wasn't corrupt, just some of the stuff that comes with it it seems.

Ok, here's the update. No lock ups so far, was fine all day. Network/internet was still available when woken from hibernation.

Check Disc will run upon next restart, will let you know the results at that point. Should be within the next two hours.

But, there's a new problem. My 2nd monitor, the 3300, is now gone from device manager and my 2nd monitor is now a nice black box. Checked the connections, nothing seems to be wrong on that end. No idea *** to make of that.

Thanks again for all your help, was hoping this would be a much simpler fix. Not a revolving door of errors. I'll be working on the vid card MIA problem, will report if anything comes up.
Old December 28th, 2010, 03:39 PM

Again, no problem waking from hibernation.

No luck troubleshooting my monitor.

But the check disk came back clean.
Old December 28th, 2010, 05:43 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
No luck troubleshooting my monitor.
Since you swapped cards earlier, refresh my memory on which cards are installed and how the monitors are hooked to them.

Open Catalyst Control Center, click the graphics menu, and select dektops and displays. Right click the picture of the disabled monitor and select enable.
Old December 29th, 2010, 03:47 AM

The 4600 and the 3300, the 3300 being my 2nd monitor which is no longer working.

I don't seem to have Catalyst Control Center, I'll find it, download it, and report back.