Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:10 PM

Dual Boot, cannot see XP

I had installed Windows 7 RC and it was working fine dual booting with XP64. I just installed Windows 7 Pro 64 but on the same parition that RC was installed on. When I first booted up it did not ask me if I wanted to go to an "Earlier Version of Windows". So I tried going to startup and recovery to see if XP was showing up under the Default operating system pulldown and it wasn't. So I downloaded Easy BCD and added XP. When I did this it gave me an error about NTLDR not found. The entry in BCD lloks like this

Entry #2

Name: Windows XP64
BCD ID: {ofba9664-f712-11de-a494-d8761eo8b88f}
Drive:\Device\HarddiskVolume1
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

Now when I boot it gives me the option of either operating system. When I choose XP64 it says I am missing \NTLDR and I need to use the XP64 disc to repair it. How do I get back to dual booting with XP64????
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:15 AM

I just wanted to add more detail. Windows XP64 is installed on D: Windows 7 is installed on C:. I have done many searches on this and looked at several different methods to get XP64 to boot but to no avail. I have been using the bcdedit command and easy BCD (for Vista). I have copied NTLDR from my wondows XP64 dvd to D:\. Now when I choose Windows XP64 from the boot menu it says:
Invalid Boot.ini file
Booting from C:\windows\
NTDETECT failed

I have a lot of apps on win XP64 that I need for my business. Any help would be appreciated.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:19 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi hammerpe33. When you boot into Windows 7, can you see your XP partition in Computer? If so, what is the drive letter?

*Edit never mind, I was typing while you posted the last set of information*.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:21 AM
CTH Subscriber

Have you tried the suggestions here?
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:44 AM

I just tried following the instructions from x(perts) 64. I booted using Windows Xp 64 Disc. Went into repair mode. Went to my windows installation on D:. Entered my administrator password. Ran Bootfix. It wrote a new bootsector on Partition C:. I ran bootcfg /rebuild. I got:

Error: Failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent Bootcfg from sucessfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors.

chkdsk does not return anything unusual. Now it will not boot at all. It just says NTDLR is missing. I don't care if I have to re-install windows 7. I really need to get WinXP back.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:13 AM
CTH Subscriber

Try booting from the Win7 dvd and open a command prompt (print this page for more help) and restoring Win7's MBR. See here

Quote:
Use Bootsect.exe to restore the Windows Vista MBR and the boot code that transfers control to the Windows Boot Manager program. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt: Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All
The link also outlines how to restore your XP dual boot.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:01 AM

Thanks you for your prompt answer. I followed the instructions. There were however some differences. Once in the command prompt fromt the Windows 7 DVD: Typing Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All (I used the drive letter in place of Drive gave me an error. I had to change to the directory Drive:\windows\boot then run Bootsect.exe /NT60. That gave me an error telling me that the drive that windows 7 was on was access denied, but it did run the executable on it. After re-booting I did see the choice for Windows XP64 (thats what I named it). When I tried booting windows xp64 up it said:

Invalid Boot.ini file
Booting from C:\windows\
NTDETECT failed

Windows 7 does work again! Progress!
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:06 AM

Oh one more thing the document says I need the following files:

• Ntldr
  • Boot.ini
  • Bootfont.bin

Note You need to use this file when you install the Windows versions of the East Asian languages.
  • NTDetect.com
I cannot find bootfont anywhere. Also these files are currently in d:\ but it seems they are supposed to be in d:\boot???
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:20 AM
CTH Subscriber

Bootfont.bin is not needed unless you have an Asian version of Windows. Ntldr, boot.ini and NTDetect.com should all be in your D:\ directory.

Sounds like you need to have another shot at running bootcfg /rebuild in the XP Recovery Console.

See here.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:27 AM

No luck. This is what I did. Booted up using the Windows XP dvd. Went into the repair console. Chose the D: drive (this is where XP 64 is) typed bootcfg /list. It says There are currently no boot entries available to display. Then I type bootcfg /rebuild and it says: Error: Failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent Bootcfg from sucessfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:39 AM

Using the recovery console should I try fixboot d:???
Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:42 AM
CTH Subscriber

Not yet. I am going to ask for help from another Mod who has more experience with this type of issue than I do. In the meantime, back up as much data as you can to removable media.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:46 AM
CTH Subscriber

Ok, I have sent Murf a message but it might be a few hours before he can reply (depends on timezones).
Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:46 AM

OK. Thanks for your help.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:47 AM

I'll check in the AM for any updates. Although my newborn is probobly going to keep me up anyway