Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old April 9th, 2020, 09:56 PM

Linux and Win7

I have 2 hard drives in my PC. One has Linux Mint and Windows 7 and the other has nothing at all on it. In disk management there is no drive letter assigned to the empty drive. It just shows up as Healthy Primary Partition. I wanted to remove this drive and put in another drive that I needed some info from. When I did this and restarted the PC it went to GRUB Rescue. Tried switching things around and either wouldn't boot at all or went straight to GRUB Rescue without booting. I just Do not understand why removing a drive that has nothing on it would affect the system like this. Also in "My Computer" it doesn't show up at all. Does any know why this would happen?
Thanx so much
Jim
Old April 13th, 2020, 11:36 AM

Is there no computer expert here?
Old April 14th, 2020, 07:37 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmnew View Post
I have 2 hard drives in my PC. One has Linux Mint and Windows 7 and the other has nothing at all on it. In disk management there is no drive letter assigned to the empty drive. It just shows up as Healthy Primary Partition. I wanted to remove this drive and put in another drive that I needed some info from. When I did this and restarted the PC it went to GRUB Rescue. Tried switching things around and either wouldn't boot at all or went straight to GRUB Rescue without booting. I just Do not understand why removing a drive that has nothing on it would affect the system like this. Also in "My Computer" it doesn't show up at all. Does any know why this would happen?
Thanx so much
Jim
If you have a win7 disk, you can boot to it and do a startup repair. maybe it will work.
Old April 14th, 2020, 11:57 PM

Tried that. No luck.
Thank anyway.
Jim
Old January 10th, 2021, 02:40 AM

https://www.sevenforums.com/