Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old November 15th, 2014, 06:35 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Well I never used the "Key" they sent, as I loaded a "Legal" retail version of Win 8 on this machine, did not wait to see if it deactivated. However, have another computer here may try it when I have time.

My lesson was as said, you get what you pay for, so I'm just out some $$$, so it cost me 2 rounds of golf..lol

There are plenty of places to get a legit copy of Windows out there, in fact I bought mine on EBay, it was a sealed retail version (both 32/64 bit) full version of Windows 8.1 with media for $84.95, advertised as;

Item is brand new, in original packaging, factory sealed.
Unused Serial numbers and codes.
USA Retail version

And it was. Could of gotten Windows 8 a little cheaper, with the free upgrade to 8.1, but wanted the 8.1 on DVD instead so it was easier for repair, because if you install 8.0 and then upgrade to 8.1, it is harder to make a rescue/repair DVD after the upgrade.

Normally would not buy on EBay, but being sealed and the KEY was inside the unopened box, told me it hadn't been used.

Amazon sells for $100, Newegg $120, MS Store $120, Walmart $120 all retail not OEM.

Yes you can buy the product key and download the ISO, but I would not do that as you are buying a "Product Key", god knows how many times it was used.

So if you buy Windows, make sure it is in a sealed box, as most of the time the "Key" is inside the box on a card, which mine was.

Also as many of said, replacing major components can cause Windows not to activate and you have to use telephone activation, which works if you tell them what you replaced. Last week I replaced a motherboard on a friends computer, Dell XPS, but replaced with the identical motherboard and both Windows (7) and Office activated immediately.
Old November 15th, 2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
it was a sealed retail version (both 32/64 bit) full version of Windows 8.1
That's another advantage of the retail versions - both 32-bit and 64-bit installation disks are included (though you can only use one at a time).

With OEM/System Builders, you have to specify at time of purchase, which bit rate you want.
Old November 16th, 2014, 01:15 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
I read an article on affordable ways to get Windows 7:

Perfectly legal ways you can still get Windows 7 cheap (or even free)
it is not the selling or the purchasing that makes software illegal, it is how it is used. for example, it is legal to purchase oem software but if you used it to upgrade the software on the computer, it is illegal in most cases. there is a play on words in order to sell the software to those who don't know better.
Old November 16th, 2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
there is a play on words in order to sell the software to those who don't know better.
Very true! We have to remember that software companies don't really sell software - they sell the licenses to use it. And typically, you have to agree to the terms of the license agreement (essentially a contract!) before you can use it. This is why it really is important to read those things before clicking "I Agree".