Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 5th, 2021, 10:06 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
HP Wireless OfficeJet 5200 on XP

I understand XP is no longer supported, but I have a wireless HP All-In-One printer I would like to print to. (I have a Windows 10 that prints to it no problem.) The XP can see the printer, but I was told by HP I needed to download the XP software. Even though it's not supported, it should work. Makes sense. Problem is when I run the installer, it gets an error on a .cab file, which I know nothing about. Claims the cab file is corrupt. No help from HP.

I found some software that will supposedly fix a corrupt cab file, for $150. No trial sample. What I'm trying to print is from an old program that won't run on 10. I only need to print a couple of CD labels and cases I made years ago. (They aren't compatible with the new label making software I have. I could recreate everything, but it would be so much easier to just print on my XP.)

Does anyone have any ideas of something I could try? Is anyone running XP and able to print to an HP 5200 wireless all-in-one printer? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old July 21st, 2021, 09:53 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Realize this is a couple weeks old, if you do come back and still have not fixed it, try running in compatibility mode. On the Win 10 machine.

Right-click (or press and hold) the program icon and select Properties from the drop-down menu. Select the Compatibility tab. Under Compatibility mode, check the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for and select the appropriate version of Windows from the drop-down list.