Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:19 AM

hard drive cant delete properly

hey guys. recently I'm having a problem with all of my storage devices. I found that unless I permanently delete the file, it would still take up space, even if its in the recycle bin. this has never happened before, and I find it very troublesome. how can I fix this? thanks.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:49 PM
CTH Subscriber

welcome to cybertech xrbah. The symptoms you describe is the way windows' normally works when it comes to deleting files and was introduced in windows 95. If you want to change that option and delete the files directly, right click the recycle bin on your desktop and select properties, highlight each drive and select the Don't move files to the recycle bin. Remove files immediately when deleted.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
this has never happened before, and I find it very troublesome. how can I fix this? thanks.
I think you just have not noticed it. If it normally (by default) worked as you thought it did, then there would be no need to empty the recycle bin to free up space - yet that is a common practice.

I suspect if you strongly believe you are correct, then is likely your previous computer had the "permanent remove" option MaDef mentioned selected. I do not recommend using that option because you lose your ability to undelete, if you accidently delete something you later want. You can always clear out the recycle bin later with Disk Cleanup or CCleaner or the like.

Bottom line, your system is not broke, and is behaving normally.
Old May 25th, 2013, 12:38 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
try wiping free disk space

I think, you need to try wiping free disk space using any third party application like ccleaner or other. Also, keep a computer on disc fragmentation once a month. I too persisted such issue earlier but fixed at own using such techniques. If still issue persists, get troubleshooting assistance at (link removed by moderator)/ for free.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Mod;

CTH is a free site and folks come here for help FREE, not to be directed to another site that charges. Please read the TOS you agreed to when signing onto CTH.

Also Windows has a built in "Cleaner", although Ccleaner is a good program it can screw your system up if you don't know what your doing.