Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:11 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
ASUS A8N-SLI Chipset Fan Failure

After several months languishing in my loft I decided to see if it my PC was still working.

After power up I get the following warning:

*** Warning:Your Computer CHIP Fan Fail or speed too low***
You can also disable this warning message in SETUP

When I checked the fan wasn't moving. I have tried to clear away the dust but no joy and it feels stiff if I try to move the blades.Can I lubricate in which case how?

If I disable the warning in SETUP I can use the PC, but can I continue to use the PC without doing any damage at least until I decide what to do.

I believe that replacing the fan isn't too onerous, if one is careful, and would welcome any advice on how to do that.

Is there an alternative to replacing the fan??

Thanks
Old March 26th, 2013, 03:01 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
When I checked the fan wasn't moving. I have tried to clear away the dust but no joy and it feels stiff if I try to move the blades.Can I lubricate in which case how?
Not sure what kind of fan it is exactly (dont know if it's sealed or not), but you can try cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner (doesn't leave a residue) and lubricating it with either 3-1 household oil, or mineral oil (although if the original lubricant was graphite based it might not be as effective). *** You still want to remove the fan when doing that, so you don't risk getting oil on other surrounding components on the board.
Quote:
I believe that replacing the fan isn't too onerous, if one is careful, and would welcome any advice on how to do that.

Is there an alternative to replacing the fan??
My guess is that that fan is there because the chipset runs hot, you may be able to run without a fan, but at best it would shorten the life of the chip. You may be able to find an exact replacement (or a compatible aftermarket fan) that will fit the mounting bracket and just replace it. If Not, you can try any small chipset fan and mount it directly to the chips' heatsink with double sided tape or velcro (I've done both with successful results).
Old March 26th, 2013, 06:14 PM

Don't know how to include an image off my hard drive so hope it's OK to post the following image I found.

http://euroalps.eu/technology/Comput.../P8120903l.jpg

Hope this helps explaining the type of fan in question
Old March 26th, 2013, 07:01 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Replacement fan;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-A8-N-A8...044#vi-content

Above is a kit that replaces the fan itself inside the case.

Looks like it is sealed as MaDef indicated, pretty easy to replace.

Shop around, also found on Amazon
Old March 27th, 2013, 12:45 PM

Thanks Murf

Both sites are USA based but the Ebay one delivers to the UK so have ordered the kit.

Long time since we exchanged posts, glad to see you are still helping thick people like me!!!