Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:16 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Cool Cpu

No one has responded to my last stupid question so what the h--, let me ask another. CPU's are the subject, I sport a 775 Dual Core and am looking at a Quad Core Extreme. When replacing the CPU on the motherboard who do you go to to update the system Bios which I assume has to be done for the chip to work correctly or am I wrong, I don't know? I'm use to add on parts where your install it, run a disk for device drivers and away you go.....
Old November 12th, 2009, 02:01 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
A BIOS update is not always required when installing a new CPU. First things first, check your motherboard's list of compatible CPU's on the mobo manufacturer's website. Generally the list will consist of what CPU's are compatible and what BIOS revision you need in order for it to function properly(or at all). If the list states your new CPU will function with your current BIOS then no update is needed and it's usually suggested that you don't update to avoid hazard. If a newer revision is necessary then you'll have to download and flash the BIOS before installing the new cpu.