Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old July 18th, 2014, 12:06 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
CD-Rom and Slave Drive NOT recoginized

good morning...
My friend has an EMachine T5234 using Vista OS... The drive in it is a Sata.. I had to replace the power supply as the fan went out and the fan was out on the processor so replaced it..All that is working fine now... she had an old computer that was not being used much as it was very very slow.. I took the hard drive out of it and installed into the Vista machine... I set the HD to Cable Select and connected it to the middle connector on the cable with the CD-Rom.. it is IDE.. I forgot to check the setting on the CD-Rom so not sure if it was Cable Select already or set to Master.. will be checking it tomorrow when I go to her house..
This computer for years now, has always lost the CD-Rom.. it will not show in the device manager and not show in 'my computer'.. when it does that, I could go into the registry and delete the upper and/or lower filters and reboot and the cd-rom would once again appear and be usable.. I did this ... removed the upper filter from the registry and rebooted.. but this time, it did not reappear...
I am going to take a new cable to put on in case there is a problem with the cable, but if the CD-Rom is set to Master instead of Cable Select, will that keep it from appearing in the device manager area ? What else can I look for? I will work on her computer again tomorrow... I will change out the cable and recheck all the settings.. but not sure what else to check for..

thank you in advance for your help... I appreciate it..
have a good day
Barbara
Old July 18th, 2014, 06:47 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
In my experience.......

I've not used the Cable Select Function, because of issues with older systems.

Drive Configuration

The SATA Main boot Hard Drive is set as Master.

The IDE Drives are a bit more tricky.

The IDE CD-Rom Drive is connected to the end of the cable, and set as Master.
The Second IDE Hard Drive is connected to the middle connector, and set as Slave.

Go into the BIO's CMO's Setup.
Make sure the SATA Hard Drive is set as the 2nd or 1st Boot device.
Example:

Boot sequence
1 IDE CD-ROM D:
2 SATA HD C:
3 Floppy A:
4 USB

That should work.
Unless you have a mother board the requires SATA Drivers to be loaded first for the SATA ports to work.

Signed: Ensign Tzap
Old July 18th, 2014, 11:16 PM

I've used the Cable select before.. usually when the master and the salve are set to Cable select the computer knows which is master and which is slave by the position on the cable..
I will go into the bios tomorrow and check it.. I can't uninstall and reinstall it in the device manager because it isn't showing.. so hoping it is showing in the bios ...
The computer came with sata hard drive, so the sata drives are loaded.. that's not a problem.. it boots to the Sata drive fine.. no issues there.. I am only trying to get the CD-Rom and the second Hard drive working on the IDE cable.
the computer came with the Sata Hard drive and the IDE CD-Rom.. I left all that the same.. just added the second hard drive from the old computer to the middle connector on the IDE cable since the old computer was IDE hard drive...
Will see what I can figure out tomorrow when I go to my friend's house.. will post back when I am back home... Am hoping I can get it working... Am going to replace the cable in case it is a problem..

thanks
Barbara
Old July 19th, 2014, 01:40 AM

Do yourself a favor.........

Get the Make & Model numbers off the CD-Rom and Slave Hard Drive.

Then Look up the jumper settings for each of them.

I have come across a few Hard Drives that have to be jumpered in a weird way to get them to work.
When connected on the IDE Cable with CD-Rom or other IDE device.

Example:

Old July 19th, 2014, 04:06 AM

Okay.. thanks...
Old July 19th, 2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Tzap
The SATA Main boot Hard Drive is set as Master.
Ummm, no it isn't. There is no such thing as Master and Slave with SATA drives. This is because SATA cables only support one drive per cable.

EIDE (PATA, ATA, IDE, etc.) cables support two drives per cable so ONLY EIDE drives use Master and Slave, or Cable Select.

If you have only one EIDE drive, connect it to the Master connector (on the opposite end from the system/motherboard connector) and jumper the drive to MA (Master) or CS (cable select).

If you have two EIDE drives, it is generally best to jumper the HD as MA and the optical as SL (Slave) and attach them to the appropriate connectors on the cable. Alternatively, you can jumper both as CS and the system will determine which is Master and which is Slave by the drives' locations on the cable.

You CANNOT mix CS and MA/SL jumpered devices on the same cable. If using MA, you must use SL if connecting a second drive. If using CS, you must use CS for the second drive. If your motherboard supports two EIDE interface connections, and you have two EIDE drives, I recommend using both motherboard connections and jumpwe both drives as MA (or CS) connected to the MA end of the cables. In this way, your OS can access both drives at once at the highest priority. If both EIDE drives are on one cable, the MA channel has priority and access to the 2nd drive will have to wait until the system is done with the MA device.

To determine which connector is which, hold the cable out in front of you and notice the middle connector is offset from the exact center of the cable. As crass and insensitive as this sounds, to determine which connector is which (if not labeled), remember the phrase "the Master keeps his Slave close". So the end closer to the middle connector is the Master, and the opposite end connects to the EIDE interface on the motherboard.

You then set the boot drive in the BIOS Setup Menu. Note you will sometimes see laypersons (and lazy bloggers and IT journalists ) incorrectly call the boot drive (regardless of interface type) the Master and all other drives as Slaves. That is NOT proper computer terminology and should not be used - just to avoid confusion.

The vast majority of users should never ever need to change any jumper on any SATA drive.
Old July 19th, 2014, 04:11 PM

I haven't changed anything or tried to change anything on the sata drive.. I left it alone...I never worked with Sata before so did not know you couldn't slave one if you had two .. I do see 4 stat connectors on the motherboard.. ... I think there is only one IDE motherboard connection so the second hard drive which is IDE will have to be on same cable with the CD-Rom.. I will change it around and make the HD the master and the CD Rom the Slave... had to get new cable to use because cable in computer now wasn't long enough to set it up that way.. I did know that you can't have one as cable select and the other as Master or slave... I know basics .. I have built 4 computers several years ago and I work on my computers and my friend's computer doing basic stuff.. but sometimes I get stumped and not positive where to go... I do a lot of research online looking for info for whatever problem I run into and If I can't resolve my problem on my own, I post a question.. everyone here over the years have been great help and I really do appreciate it when I need the help... but I do try to resolve before I post.. so when I post, I'm stumped or it is something I've never dealt with before.
will be working on her computer to try and fix shortly so will see what is going on and hopefully get the computer to recognize the CD-Rom and the HD... Right now, they don't even appear in the device manager... Will post back what happens... and thank you for the information.. appreciate it
Barbara
have a good day
Old July 19th, 2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I know basics .. I have built 4 computers several years ago and I work on my computers and my friend's computer doing basic stuff.. but sometimes I get stumped and not positive where to go... I do a lot of research online looking for info for whatever problem I run into and If I can't resolve my problem on my own, I post a question.. everyone here over the years have been great help and I really do appreciate it when I need the help... but I do try to resolve before I post.. so when I post, I'm stumped or it is something I've never dealt with before.
Nothing wrong with ANY of that! And certainly, as new technologies come on line, and old technologies are updated, even with decades of experience, as helpers, and as users, it is essential stay current through research and to at least verify what you know (or think you know) is still correct, and research to learn about what is new and how it works.

Of course the key to getting the information you need is knowing what search parameters/string to punch in. That, in itself, is a challenge and takes some understanding of how search engines work. So I applaud those helpers who verify their facts before posting, and those posters who at least attempt to find the information before posting.

I hope you got a round cable. Good "cable management" is essential to ensure maximum air flow through the case. Those old-style flat "ribbon" cables can be difficult route out of the way of that desired air flow. Plus, the round cables present more of a "tidy" appearance, IMO and are easier to clean around.

Quote:
I think there is only one IDE motherboard connection
That suggests it is a newer board. Older boards typically had two EIDE/PATA interface connections to support 4 drives. As SATA advanced as the latest industry standard, motherboard makers started including just 1 connection, and 4, 6 or more SATA connections. And many of the latest motherboards provide no direct EIDE/PATA support at all. If you need EIDE/PATA support with one of those boards, you will need to get an EIDE/PATA adapter (card or USB enclosure/docking station).

EIDE/PATA is going the way of the floppy - as it should.
Old July 19th, 2014, 11:46 PM

Hi... I used the ribbon cable but made sure it was not in the way of any fans or anything... I set the HD to master and the DVD to slave, put on a new cable and booted up and came up with no problems.. they are showing in "My computer" and I can access the HD with no issues... .. It boots to the Sata drive as the main drive... I will do some cleanup on the second HD for her later, but she can now access her documents on it and pictures.. so that is good...and the DVD is working... Thanks to every one who offered help.. I really do appreciate it..
have a good evening.
Barbara
Old July 20th, 2014, 02:39 PM

Great! I am glad you got it sorted out and thank for the follow-up post.
Old July 20th, 2014, 07:53 PM

Nice going Mamacat104.

Sorry,
if I made you think the SATA HD might be a problem.

But I was more worried that the BIO's CMO's settings might want too default to the PATA IDE Port as the First Boot Device to use.

But this EMachine doesn't have this problem, so it's a Non-issue.

Old July 20th, 2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
But I was more worried that the BIO's CMO's settings might want too default to the PATA IDE Port as the First Boot Device to use.
Even if it did, it would not - should not cause a problem unless PATA drive was bootable - that is, it had an "installed" OS on it.

And just to make sure we are still on the same page, PATA and IDE are essentially the same thing, so you would not say PATA IDE Port. That is like saying the blue blue port.

IDE, EIDE, ATA, UltraATA are all names for essentially the same thing; the "Parallel ATA" interface, or PATA.

SATA is for Serial ATA. Totally different interface. The only thing in common is they both support drives - just not the same type drives (in terms of how it communicates with the motherboard).

Note the boot drive is typically called the Primary drive "or "System" drive. All other drives are "secondary" drives.