Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old July 12th, 2010, 04:47 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
A Friday Night I will Never Forget!

This past Friday my wife and I went to the movies then out to eat. We decided on Olive Garden and when we got there it was only a 10 to 15 min wait, so no problem. Well a few minutes later this man comes running out of the eating area and ran to the mens room then few moments later came running out and sounded like he was choking! His wife came running out and said calm down which I thought he was having some sort of seizure.

But then she started to scream, "Somebody Help!" "My husband is choking!" So nobody did anything just stood there, I jumped up and ran over to the guy and started the Heimlich maneuver I don't mind telling you I was scared!!

After a several thrusts it dislodged itself and he was ok, thank God or somebody! I couldn't eat after but I didn't care all that mattered was he was ok. They did want to comp our dinner but I could not eat, my wife ate a little not much so they gave us a gift certificate to use later which by the way came from the couple. I really didn't want anything but they insisted, as they were glad things turned out the way they did.

After that I have a great respect for Paramedics as they must do this on a daily basis and have to be ready at all times. So my hats off to them and all those volunteer Fireman, rescue personal that respond daily to the needs of so many people. After all people we are all we have, so lets take care of one another.

Last edited by Tweaker; July 12th, 2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old July 12th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
My hats to you Tweaker. It really is something to step into a situation like that. Hope you get to enjoy your meal the next time at OG and I'm sure it was a Friday that the other couple will never forget.

-z1p
Old July 12th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Nice one
Old July 12th, 2010, 08:25 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Congratulations Tweaker for your presence of mind in handling this situation. Did you ever find out what actually happened, and how the chap came to be choking?
Old July 12th, 2010, 09:08 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon View Post
Congratulations Tweaker for your presence of mind in handling this situation. Did you ever find out what actually happened, and how the chap came to be choking?
I guess his wife told my wife that she placed some sea food on his dinner and he ate some it then all of sudden he started to choke. Now according to his wife his brother is allergic to sea food so if I were him I would get checked as he might be as well.

One would think he would have checked that considering his brother was but I don't know. Have to admit I didn't think it was going to come out and other things that I some how remembered from CPR Training that I took over 25 yrs ago started to appear in my mind. God knows I was nervous and scared for the guy even for me as I didn't want to fail. All I know is I'm happy that it came out like it did.
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Dw i ddim yn hoffi eira

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Well done mate. I've saved a few people over the years through various problems and it really does scare you. The fact of the matter is, even if you are scared and unsure of what you're doing, it's better than not doing anything at all like most people do.
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:12 PM
CTH Subscriber

Yeah I knew what to do still shook me up a lot. You always see things like this happen on tv and it always looks so easy and everything always comes out ok. I'm real life it's a little different.
Old July 19th, 2010, 11:03 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
You saved a stranger's life! Thank God you were there! Certainly can understand how the adrenaline rush from all that would have taken your appetite away. I choked once on food when I was in my young 20s and let me tell you, I knew without a doubt that if someone didn't help me, it was over for me. No air was getting through at all. My mother didn't know the Heimlich maneuver. She started slapping me on the back; in the middle of doing so she stopped and said she would go upstairs and get my sister, and I just shook my head, knowing that would be too late. She kept on then, and thankfully the piece of food did come out! It was a very, very scary experience. So even after all this time, reading this thread gives me a powerful feeling! That's great, Tweaker. Awesome!
Old July 20th, 2010, 02:08 AM
CTH Subscriber

One thing for sure I learned something about myself that night and that is I was able to help someone in a serious situation and not panic, though I was scared! Like I said I'm so glad it turned out the way it did, I don't know how those paramedics, and those who serve the community everyday putting their lives on the line to save others my hats off to them.
Old July 20th, 2010, 08:02 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
Superman! Nice job Tweaker!

I'd have panicked and done something absurd in a situation like that.

Old July 20th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Banned

yup, it is sure to be nice job
Old July 20th, 2010, 04:43 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
Superman! Nice job Tweaker!

I'd have panicked and done something absurd in a situation like that.

LOL!!! Never would have thought of that method, might have worked1