Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old January 5th, 2011, 05:35 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Did you happen to check in the bios to make sure it wasnt disabled?? Happen to a friend of mine somehow his wirelss connection was disabled in the bios.
Old January 5th, 2011, 09:44 PM

Tweaker,
I can connect to other wireless systems that DO NOT have security enabled. also I have other computers (PC and MAC) that attach wirelessly w/ no issues.
Old January 6th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Let's change some Norton settings, then wrap up our work here, so you can follow up with Tweaker in Networking, where others will be able to provide ideas as well. Just need to remove what we added to finish things.

Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\security center]
"AntiVirusOverride"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\security center\Monitoring\SymantecAntiVirus]
"DisableMonitoring"=dword:00000000
Open Notepad (Start - Run, type Notepad then press OK), and copy the text inside the box above and paste it into the open Notepad textbox.

Save this to your desktop as "fixer.reg"

Be sure to include the "" quotes in the name.

Then right click fixer.reg, select Merge, and allow it to merge the new information with the Registry. One of those settings may have been set by Norton, but the second one does disable Norton.

Reboot, and try Norton again please.
Old January 6th, 2011, 05:23 AM

To avoid delays, if Norton still won't enable go to Add/Remove Programs, select the Norton/Symantec listed item, and see if there is a Change button there. If so, click that, then choose whatever "Repair" option is there. If you make some changes, again reboot, and then check Norton again.
Old January 7th, 2011, 02:15 AM

Well... those options did not seem to work... so I unistalled it and installed AVG.

sssooo... you said something about cleanup work?
Old January 8th, 2011, 02:49 AM

Just need a few cleaning-up steps before wrapping up here.

Eset, if you don't plan to use it again, uninstalls through Add/Remove Programs.

You can also at this time delete the files/folders of the tools we used. To assist with some of that download OTC.exe by OldTimer to your desktop. This will help by automatically removing some of the tools we used.

Just click OTC.exe, then click CleanUp, and select Yes. When it finishes removing some of the tools and files we used there just agree to the reboot, and OTC should self-delete once the system has rebooted (if not just delete the OTC.exe file).

-------------------------

Then a good idea is to reset the System Restore. To do this, right-click My Computer and select Properties. Click the System Restore tab in the window that appears, and check the box that says "Turn off System Restore on all drives" and click Apply.

You will be asked if you are sure, click Yes. This will delete the restore points. Then click OK in the Properties window and reboot your computer.

When your desktop appears, right-click My Computer and select Properties once more. Uncheck the "Turn off System Restore..." box and click Apply. OK.

In addition, I like to recommend reviewing the information Here to make sure you stay malware free.
Old January 10th, 2011, 04:36 PM

Clean-up done... that for your help!!! Greatly appreciated!!
Old January 11th, 2011, 02:51 AM