Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Gaming

Notices

Gaming Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of PC & Console Gaming issues

Topic Tools
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:09 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Empire at war recommendations and laptops.

Hi,
I have a couple of questions:
First, I have a laptop and a desktop, both Windows Vista. Both have a near identical video card. Empire at War runs on both machines but lags on the newer laptop. The problem is that while the game has compatibility issues with both cards it says that the laptop will not run Empire at War.

The following information comes courtesy of a Can you Run It site. Attached is the address that might be useful to others too.
http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/

Desktop is a 3.0 GHz P4 with I82945G
Laptop is a Core 2 Duo 1.8~ with an I82965. I can understand that the core 2 duo doesn't double the speed of the computer, that the cores together run at 1.8~ but what I want to know is why when I tested my laptop it said that the features needed by Empire at War met or exceeded what the game needed it still said it wouldn't run.

CPU
Minimum: Pentium III or Athlon equivalent
You Have: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz
PASS

CPU Speed
Minimum: 1 GHz
You Have: 1.86 GHz Performance Rated at: 2.79 GHz
PASS

RAM
Minimum: 256 MB
You Have: 3.0 GB
PASS

OS
Minimum: Windows 2000/XP
You Have: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 32-bit (Build Service Pack 26002)
PASS

Video Card
Minimum: 32 MB video card with Hardware T&L capability (GeForce3+ / ATI Radeon 8500+)
You Have: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Upgrade Suggested: Unfortunately, your Video Card does not meet this requirement. Click here to see some recommendations.
Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
Required You Have
Video RAM 32 MB 358.0 MB
3D Yes Yes
Hardware T&L Yes Yes
Pixel Shader version 1.1 4.0
Vertex Shader version 1.1 4.0

DirectX version
Minimum: DirectX 9.0c (included with product)
You Have: 10.0
PASS

Sound Card
Minimum: Yes
You Have: Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221
PASS

Free Disk Space
Minimum: 1.5 GB Free disk space (plus additional 500 MB after install)
You Have: 31.4 GB
PASS

CD-ROM
Minimum: 8X CD-ROM
You Have: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7530B ATA Device
PASS

CPU
Recommended: Pentium 4 or Athlon XP or higher
You Have: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz
PASS

CPU Speed
Recommended: 2 GHz
You Have: 1.86 GHz Performance Rated at: 2.79 GHz
PASS

RAM
Recommended: 512 MB
You Have: 3.0 GB
PASS

OS Recommended: Windows 2000/XP
You Have: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 32-bit (Build Service Pack 26002)
PASS

Video Card
Recommended: 64 MB 3D Graphics card with Hardware Vertex and Pixel Shader (VS/PS) Capability (GeForce4+ / ATI Radeon 9000+)
You Have: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Upgrade Suggested: Unfortunately, your Video Card does not meet this requirement. Click here to see some recommendations.
Features: Recommended attributes of your Video Card
Required You Have
Video RAM 64 MB 358.0 MB
3D Yes Yes
Hardware T&L Yes Yes
Pixel Shader version 1.3 4.0
Vertex Shader version 1.1 4.0

DirectX version
Recommended: DirectX 9.0c (included with product)
You Have: 10.0
PASS

Sound Card
Recommended: Yes
You Have: Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221
PASS

Free Disk Space
Recommended: 2 GB
You Have: 31.4 GB
PASS

DVD-ROM
Recommended: Yes
You Have: ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
PASS

As this is a laptop I'm not sure I can do anything about the video card, but understanding why the laptop is slower and lags more and the older desktop shines with this game. The desktop has an older video card, and less memory.

Question 2, and this goes out to people who might have had this problem. Forces of Corruption campaign deals with a faction called the consortium, and they spread corruption throughout the galaxy of Star Wars. All well and good but I get to the piracy at Mandalore mission and I don't get the option to spread corruption. Talking with Lucasarts, they think it could be hardware but the pattern doesn't fit because I can do other missions and I can run piracy in the Galactic Conquest mode famous in these games. It's just that storyline mission that won't run for me

Last edited by arckangel6983; October 18th, 2009 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Error to address posted
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:19 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
my first thought would be you meet the minimum specification to run the game, however you have other things running - including the os and they are also using your computer resources. By other things running and also using resources, it would bring resources available to below what is required to run the specific game.

Last edited by renegade600; October 18th, 2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:42 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Ok, fair enough but look at it this way, the computer needed is about 1 ghz PIII/Athlon. My laptop's lagging wouldn't be with that or the memory (I wouldn't run the game with less memory if possible, But the lagging isn't near so bad on the desktop which has less ram and a tested speed of about 3 ghz, while the laptop has got a little less processing speed (CYRI tested it at 2.79 GHz). Dual cores might not double the speed of the core, but this laptop definitely is faster than 1.86 GHz and is not overclocked. What other resources, other than processor and memory are there to be tied up? Virtual memory and hard drive? Riddle me this I've had more running with the desktop than the laptop at the same time with little lagging.