Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 3rd, 2009, 08:20 PM

Cool Win XP home 32 bit

I have a computer for the kids, after a system wipe and reinstall with Win XP home 32 bit I found I could not boot it up without the install disk in the cd drive.
It stays at the first screen BEFORE the welcome screen and will not boot up saying NTLDR file is missing.... any ideas?
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:11 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Sorry no one came by to help:

When your computer starts, the BIOS attempts to find the primary hard drive’s active partition to read the first sector for the MBR (Master Boot Record), it uses that info to load the rest of the OS. For Windows NT4/2k/XP the NTLDR (New Technology Loader) takes it from there. If you get the “NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart” what’s most likely going on is the BIOS either didn’t look for the right drive, didn’t find the right partition, it wasn’t active, didn’t find the MBR, or the MBR didn’t list NTLDR in the right place, or the location of NTLDR changed.

Boot and immediatekly get into BIOS detup (1st screen tells you which key probably the DEL or a "F" key). Once in set the boot order to the Hard Drive as the 1st boot device.
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:03 PM

thank you very much! I don't know why I didn't check the boot priority order but it worked the first time I reset the boot order to the 0 drive
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:26 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Great.Thx for letting us know.