Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old April 17th, 2004, 03:15 AM

System won't start after pretty big upgrade

Recently I just purchased a new motherboard but Iím afraid itís not working. Weíre not really able to diagnose the problem but from doing several tests of trial and elimination, weíve determined that an area or the entire motherboard is faulty. Itís aAbit is7 that I bought from newegg.com. When I got everything installed and the power supply connected, a green LED lights up indicating the motherboard is receiving power from the power supply. Once everything is ďsuccessfullyĒ installed and connected, I press the power button on my case and nothing happens. I donít see any action from any of the fans and I get absolutely nothing. Iíve tried hooking it up using 2 other cases but to no avail. Is it possible the area on the motherboard where Iím connecting the power switch, hard drive led, reset switch, speaker, etc, isnít working? My processor, ram, graphic card, and processor all came from my other system. I just upgraded the motherboard, purchased a new fan and heat sink and added another stick of 512mb DDR Ram. All the components from my previous system and the new stick of RAM are functional. Theyíve all been tested.

Iím just worried that maybe itís not my motherboard and the problem lies in my case. I canít imagine that something is wrong there only because itís such a simple design. How hard could it be to wire a switch in a giant case? I canít imagine that something couldíve gone wrong at the manufacturers. Now Iím pretty much stranded. If anyone has any suggestions or has experienced something similar, please let me know ASAP.

Very Desperate,

Mason Galindo
Old April 17th, 2004, 03:45 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hi Mason,
One thing comes immediately to mind: a misplaced standoff on the back of the MB shorting to the case. The best way to determine if that is it, is to take the MB out and lay it on a sheet of cardboard or the bag it came in, connect the monitor, the keyboard, 1 stick of RAM, and see if it'll POST.
Lots of Luck.
HTH,
Old April 17th, 2004, 04:37 AM

Strider,

I originally started off without even using the standoffs. I quickly found out that they were required to allow the board to receive power. Once I added them, the board was still receiving power but pressing the power switch on any of the cases I tested didn't work.

Also if I were shorting it, the green LED indicator wouldn't light up.

Thanks for your help. I've already sent an RMA to newegg and the motherboard is all packaged and ready to go. I'm getting ready to put all the components back into my case using my old motherboard.

Thanks for your help.
Old April 17th, 2004, 04:27 PM

Short the two prongs that the switch is connected to on the mobo, this will usually tell if it is the mobo or power supply, i had the same thing happen on a new build, and it was the brand new power supply(antec), Also had another one, and it was a bad cmos battery, also brand new.
Old April 17th, 2004, 08:29 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoaVio
Strider,

<snip>

Thanks for your help.
You're welcome. Better luck with the replacement board :biggrin:
Old April 17th, 2004, 08:43 PM

Some comments:
1. In assembling a system for the first time, I find it helpful to first assemble only the essential components before completing the assembly because any one malfunctioning major component can cause the symptoms that you're describing. The essential components are:

a. Motherboard & CPU,
b. One stick of RAM,
c. Video Adapter,
d. Keyboard, and
e. NOTHING ELSE

The above list gives you enough to start the computer (assuming that all of them & the PS work) and to enter the BIOS Setup Utility for any preliminary setup that might be needed.

2. If you assembled the MB, screwed it down to the metal backplate without the standoffs (not sure how you were able to add any expansion cards this way - they wouldn't fit), and applied power, you may have damaged it from all the shorts that you created - the damage might not be limited to the motherboard, so you should test each component, including all drives to see what you have left. I repaired a system not long ago that had a "spare" screw in behind the motherboard that ruined all components with the exception of the RAM, FDD, and part of the Video Adapter.

Last edited by Alfons; April 17th, 2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old April 18th, 2004, 03:13 AM

Hey Alfons,

That news isn't too good at all. I'm pretty sure the RAM still works. I took the two sticks of 512 DDR pc2700 and slapped them in a friends computer. It loaded properly and he was able to get to the desktop but experienced a lot of lag and a huge decrease in speed. He couldn't open anything so we decided to just shut it down. Since he's got his system overclocked, we figured it's because his system wasn't configured to function properly using my ram. He runs at PC 4000 and the two sticks of mine that we put in were both pc2700. We both have identical motherboards and it can run both types but since he had his system configured to run a certain way, we assumed that was why it didn't work properly.

I know the hard drive works fine, that too was loaded into his computer and I pulled some documents off of it. I'm not sure if any of the fans work, I'm assuming all of them do but since we never made it that far I haven't actually seen them work. I'm not sure if the graphics card still works, I'm hoping it does. I sent my motherboard back to newegg. They won't get it until Wednesday and then I won't receive the replacement board until at least Friday. I purchased a new processor (Pentium 4 2.8c) so hopefully this will resolve the problem.

After reading about the computer you repaired where nearly all the components were ruined, it makes me very curious as to what components of mine are even good. I want to test my "fried" processor in my friend's motherboard but I was told that placing a burnt chip into a perfectly good board could kill it. Also, when I put the ram in my friend's and it loaded, that must mean the RAM is still functional, correct? If it weren't, wouldn't BIOS throw up an error prompting me to replace it or say there is some malware in the system thats preventing it from properly booting?

I just placed all of my components into my OLD motherboard and gave it some power. The green LED indicator still lights up but when I press the power button, nothing happens. This leads me to believe that not only did I fry the new motherboard but I fried my processor as well. I was told that even if my processor were fried, I'd still be able to get my PC to post. When I press the power button absolutely nothing happens. The fans don't spin or anything.

Do you think with the purchase of my new cpu and mobo the problem will be resolved? I think maybe I was too careless handling the components. I assembled the system on a carpet floor and touched some of the motherboard's circuitry when moving it. I wasn't aware of the massive potential to generate an electric shock and fry the components. With the purchase of my new processor and replacement board I also ordered an anti-static wrist band that grounds me to the chassy of my case.

I'd like to know what you think about the problem and how you'd go about solving it given the information I provided. I really appreciate all the help so far and look forward to hearing more!

Regards,
Old April 19th, 2004, 04:13 AM

It's a shame the attention the topics receive on this forum are short lived. Hopefully someone can post back with their thoughts, I'm pretty stranded right now. I'll post an update once I try again with the new motherboard and processor.

-Mason
Old April 21st, 2004, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider
Hi Mason,
One thing comes immediately to mind: a misplaced standoff on the back of the MB shorting to the case. The best way to determine if that is it, is to take the MB out and lay it on a sheet of cardboard or the bag it came in, connect the monitor, the keyboard, 1 stick of RAM, and see if it'll POST.
Lots of Luck.
HTH,
What do you mean get it POST? Do you mean get it to load the OS?

Thanks
Old April 21st, 2004, 05:53 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

POST is Power On Self Test
It is the screen when you first turn on the PC where it checks the memory and detects the drives etc.