Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:26 PM

how can i connect my laptop to T.V?

hello. thanks for your helping. i read all of your matterial about connect to T.v but i have aproblem. my soccet in laptop is s_video 7 pins.i use a converter to connect it. but my system dosen't detect tv as a external device. what is the problem? how can i active it? thank you

Last edited by soso; August 23rd, 2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:00 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi Soso - welcome to the CTH Forum -

You might want to provide a little more information about your computer system, i.e. laptop or desktop, brand/model, OS being used on the computer?

Also, why to you want your computer & TV attached? Do you want to use the TV as a 2nd monitor (which will need to be set in display properties) and/or do you want to have TV run on your computer (which can be done w/ a TV tuner in your computer)?

Finally, as you likely know S-video provides only the video components of a signal; if sound is needed, then you'll have to figure out the cabling for that purpose - please reply back & good luck!
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:03 AM

Hello. thanks for your reply. as you said i want to use my laptop as a 2nd monitor.i want to use in my class to show to my students some document and in the meantime i need to have sound. my laptop is Dell Inspirion 1520. i use windows visat . . the ports T.V are Audio In and Video In and the ports of my laptop are VGA/s-Video (7 pins) and outport sound for headphone. it' s every thing i have. thank you so much.
Old August 24th, 2008, 03:30 PM

Well, appears that your TV has a standard single RCA composite video jack, which will require an adapter for either VGA or S-Video to a single TV input jack - you simply need to double check that your adapter and/or cable meets that requirement.

As to sound, I'm assuming the TV has 2 inputs for right & left stereo channels - so you're need an adapter cable that will go from your headphone output on the computer (single mini-stereo plug) to a dual output to the TV (although you could use stereo & mono adapters).

Once the hookup is correct and w/ the appropriate cables (and booting up the computer), whatever is on your monitor & playing should appear on the TV - I'm currently using my Dell laptop w/ VISTA but have not given a TV connection a try, but would expect the connections described to work?

BTW, are you at least getting the sound to play on the TV? And finally, if your TV has multiple input options, make sure the right one is chosen; I have a large analog den TV that can be feed by 4 or so different sources - can get confusing!

Good luck & please reply back if you get the connection working or have additional problems - may help others -
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:03 PM

hi. thanks for your helping. i did whatever you said. i could transfer sound to my T.v but in video i have problem yet . i don't know why i can't use it as 2nd monitor. one of your account said that i must disconnect my monitor. i dont know how i can do it. my adaptor for s-video is a convertor which one side has a outpot port for video and other side is s_video port. thank you..
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:34 PM

Red face

sorry but in this site you can see my convertor. it's exactly my convertor. but nothing send out by it.www.normediasolutions.com

Last edited by soso; August 25th, 2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soso View Post
sorry but in this site you can see my convertor. it's exactly my convertor. but nothing send out by it.www.normediasolutions.com
Hello Soso - glad that you were able to get the audio working on the TV; again, the video should not be a problem w/ the proper cable. Your link did not help me much - I assume that a picture/description of your converter cable would be shown - please clarify that you are using a cable that will attach to your computer via S-Video and the other end to your TV via presumably an RCA jack?

A link to a picture of the cable being used and/or uploading a picture of your cable would be helpful. Also, have you tried other cables, i.e. the cable may be the problem - a VGA to RCA composite cable would be another possibility since your laptop has a VGA output.
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:36 AM

Hi. finally i connect my laptop to TV. as you said the problem was for my cabel. it couldn't support laptop. i buy another cabel. it's a convertor that one side is s_video 7 pins and branche to 4 other cabel. one of them is s_video 4 pins and others are for RGB. i use it and very easily i connect my laptop to T.v. now i have Video and Sound. thank you so much. exactly your advising help me. Good Luck
Old August 27th, 2008, 02:46 PM

Soso - congratulations & glad to help!