Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:29 AM

Need help - can connect to wireless network but not internet

Hey y'all. I am really hoping that someone can help me with this, I've spent about two hours on it and it is still not working... sigh...

At about 2:30am last night, I ceased being able to access the internet. My sister experienced the same problem. Since it was late, we both just went to sleep. Today, my computer is still unable to access the Internet, but hers is able to do so. I can connect to our wireless network... but no internet. I called our service provider and spent about an hour on the phone with a very nice IT guy, who was unable to help me. He told me that I needed to call the Netgear help folks and tell them that my computer was "not able to release an invalid IP address" and they would be able to help. Wel, I tried talking to the Netgear help desk, but that fellow was a useless idiot who didn't even understand what the problem was after ten minutes on the phone, so I finally just nicely thanked him for his help and then hung up.

I have a Netgear Wireless Card, the wireless router is a linksys. I am running Windows XP on a desktop PC. My sister's comp is a laptop running Windows XP; she is able to access our Wireless network and get on the internet just fine (I am using that laptop to post here). We use Time Warner Cable.

Running ipconfig gets me this info:
autoconfiguration IP address: 169.254.191.70
Subnet Mast: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: (blank)

When I was on the phone with the Time Warner help guy, he asked me to run "ipconfig/renew", but I got the following error message: "An error occured while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : unable to conact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

Help is GREATLY APPRECIATED as I require a net connection for both my work and for online classwork.

Last edited by missjenji; May 7th, 2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old May 7th, 2008, 02:36 PM

missjenji, Welcome to the Forum!

First, if you haven't already I suggest you unplug the cable from your router and your modem for about 30 seconds then plug it back again to see if that fixes it. If it doesn't solve the problem then try running the Network Diagostics tool. In Microsoft Internet Explorer, click Diagnose Connection Problems on the Tools menu.
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:22 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Unknown if the diagnostics tool covers this, so forgive the redundancy. You can open your network control panel, and where you see all your various adapters listed there, right click on your wireless network connection. Near the bottom, there is a "Repair" option to choose.

Afterward, run the following from the command line:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

If that doesn't work you can use ipconfig /all and see you have any DNS servers.

Typing this in the browser will take you to google: http://64.233.187.99/ This will tell you if your net is out completely, or if you aren't getting any DNS servers (DNS servers convert all the website names to those IP numbers to make life easy for us)

You can also look into changing your network adapter options from DHCP to static settings to try that as well.