Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:21 PM

That hijack won't work. I click finish and nothing happens.
It appears on programs list, click it and... nothing!!
When I start my PC, click personalize, click mouse, the cursor I want to use is still there, I just click OK and it is set. Apply is not highlighted. It just will not save it! It's just a basic arrow, not animated.
Old June 5th, 2007, 01:04 AM

O/S: Windows Vista
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
When I start my PC, click personalize, click mouse, the cursor I want to use is still there, I just click OK and it is set. Apply is not highlighted. It just will not save it! It's just a basic arrow, not animated.
Same for me although I thought the apply was there the first time those were chosen. I added the three files. Maybe they need some 'Vista' internal identifier as they worked just fine on 98, 2000 and XP.

Don't seem likely it's just two of us with this problem. Shouldn't have to beg MS for a fix.
Old June 5th, 2007, 06:48 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Quote:
That hijack won't work. I click finish and nothing happens.
It appears on programs list, click it and... nothing!!
There is no Finish button. As soon as Hijack This installs, the gui should open. If not, try rightclicking on it and selecting "Run as Administrator.

blugold, your issue may not be the same as El_Diablo's. In so far as I can tell, his problem is with Vista default fonts. Can you confirm this please El_Diablo. It sounds as though your problem is with third party fonts. If this is the case, you will have to contact the developer.
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
There is no Finish button. As soon as Hijack This installs, the gui should open. If not, try rightclicking on it and selecting "Run as Administrator.

blugold, your issue may not be the same as El_Diablo's. In so far as I can tell, his problem is with Vista default fonts. Can you confirm this please El_Diablo. It sounds as though your problem is with third party fonts. If this is the case, you will have to contact the developer.
AnnMarie, Thanks for the information. I did quote an issue that was the same as mine. Specifically choosing other cursors for a mouse pointer. Then having to 're visit' them each turn on of my laptop. If that is font related, I'm not aware of it. Subsequent searching finds MS suggesting removing and reinstalling their Intellipoint software for similar mouse issues. I'm not ready to go that route. Yet.

Too bad. As it is likened too buying a car and the radio won't store your station choices after you shut the car off.

As with any forum dialogs, additional comments, ergo issues, sometimes are mentioned as I did about the new Vista spider. And someone may jump in and comment on that. Thus really cornfusing the issue.

So I may have keyed on a additional issue unrelated to fonts.
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:57 AM
CTH Subscriber

My bad blugold, I made a mistake and I typed fonts instead of cursors. I must have had fonts on my mind at the time.

Regarding your issue with Spider, can you please start a new topic. This topic was created by El_Diablo to deal with his issues and it is far too confusing trying to deal with different issues encountered by different members in the one topic. Thanks.
Old June 9th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Blugold, that's exactly same problem as me. Every time I switch PC on, it has resorted to default mouse cursors.
I have got hijack to work, I will copy and paste results later.
Old June 21st, 2007, 12:01 AM

Nothing seems to solve this problem, still got it, mouse cursors resort to default on start-up. This is a minor problem now, few other little 'bugs' starting to appear now Vista has settled down on my machine.

The storage folder for email (71F1288c-etc-etc-etc, microsoft....) has decided to replicate itself and appear in various folders on my HDD for some reason, I ain't copied and pasted it!!
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:55 AM

Exclamation RE Cursors: MS road blocking to add ons?

RE Cursors 'add ons'. With Google filing a lawsuit suggesting MS has hampered loading search bars. Read where MS says it's 'hard wired'. I tried to get rid of it as it's a nusience to me.

It seems other 'add ons' (cursors?) are also being restricted. I tried to Zone Alarm. Big problems. What else has MS 'road blocked'?

AnnMarie, I don't see any logitech startups on my vista lap.

I'm slowly removing unneeded (for me) services. Just dumped HPs 'lightscribe'. Lotssa regedit deletes!

Have several items that are 'missing file' per HiJack but don't have permissions to delete. :-(

Guess I'll wait to see if SP1 has a fix for some of this.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:12 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Have several items that are 'missing file' per HiJack but don't have permissions to delete. :-(
Just as well otherwise you may delete valid startups. Hijack This is buggy and only those that have been trained in it's use should try to interpret it's findings.

blugold, I have asked nicely before and I am not going to say this again. Please start your own topic and provide all relevant information. It is a rare occasion that two problems are identical because of different software and hardware.

El_Diablo, I have asked for some information but until you provide it, I cannot help any further.

You two can continue to feed your misery forever but until I see the requested data, I am not posting in this topic again.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 03:40 PM

Thumbs up Wow!

> Have several items that are 'missing file' per HiJack but don't have permissions to delete. :-(

> Just as well otherwise you may delete valid startups..

That's what backups are for. :-[)

> Hijack This is buggy and only those that have been trained in it's use should try to interpret it's findings

Where is this school of Hijack? I'd like to go to get 'qualified' err, trained. :-[)

> blugold, I have asked nicely before and I am not going to say this again. Please start your own topic and provide all relevant information.

You asked for hijack results regarding the 'cursor' issue. I didn't find what you alluded to and stated that. I also offered that some were not allowing me to delete them. Those were my 'observations' for ALL to see and use as they may.

Hmmm, Are you saying nothing is relevant? :-(

> It is a rare occasion that two problems are identical because of different software and hardware.

Rare? Sometimes you need to step back and look at the BIG picture. All opine should be welcome as one triggers another and solutions eventually may arrive. For this and other 'mysteries'.

Speaking of triggers. You where erroneously 'quick on the trigger' to my initial support to the cursor issue as having the same problem. I'm not here to compete with you. See opine above.

> You two can continue to feed your misery forever but until I see the requested data, I am not posting in this topic again

Well, maybe just one more post. To 'ban me'. For the worst kind of response. "Freedom of speech".

Just as well. I'd rather disassociate myself from such draconian verbiage by removing myself. No, Thats what moderators are for. :-)

But, not before copying the comments for 'future' reference.
Soggy Noodles
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:31 PM

I have finally got hijackthis to work, I was getting error messages and confliction errors every time I tried, that's why the delay from me posting relevant info, sorry!!

Here are the results, I think this is what you want:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 19:24:32, on 28/06/2007
Platform: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.00.1904)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16473)

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Windows\RtHDVCpl.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Windows\3D Sea Aquarium.scr
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings,ProxyServer = localhost:4001
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nlaapi.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\napinsp.dll
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/ge...sh/swflash.cab
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgwlntf - C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\avgwlntf.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Resident Shield Service (AvgCoreSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgrssvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\qwave.dll,-1 (QWAVE) - Unknown owner - %windir%\system32\svchost.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Roxio UPnP Renderer 9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared\RoxioUPnPRenderer9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Upnp Server 9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared\RoxioUpnpService9.exe
O23 - Service: LiveShare P2P Server 9 (RoxLiveShare9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxLiveShare9.exe
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 (RoxWatch9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\seclogon.dll,-7001 (seclogon) - Unknown owner - %windir%\system32\svchost.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)
Old June 29th, 2007, 03:11 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
I was getting error messages and confliction errors every time I tried
What errors were you getting? You shouldnt have had any problems at all.

How long have you had that screensaver installed and where did you get it from? Also what scheme have you selected in Mouse Properties?
Old June 29th, 2007, 06:45 PM

My screensaver has only been installed a week, I bought it on a CD (legal), I did not install any of the other crap which comes with it, games, adverts, toolbars etc!!
I haven't selected any scheme in mouse properties, I have selected various cursors from Lostboys desktop theme. I tried extracting just the cursors and saving them to a separate file. Every time I re-boot, the default white windows mouse pointers scheme is running.
I right click desktop, personalize, mouse pointers, all the pointers I choose are showing, I just click OK (apply not highlighted) and they re-appear.
Annoying having to do that every time.
I have tried selecting a different scheme, (windows default), doesn't matter which I choose, it always resets to default white.

Hijackthis just told me program confliction error then stopped. Worked for the first time last night. I have not had onecare installed for weeks, I sold that on eBay!
Old June 30th, 2007, 05:41 AM
CTH Subscriber

You said the cursors are not animated so each file should have a .cur extension. If so, try copying the files to your C:\Windows\Cursors folder (keep a note of each filename in case this doesnt work). Reboot and try selecting them again and reboot again. Did this make any difference?
Old July 6th, 2007, 04:44 PM

Believe it or not, it's still the same! I leave my PC on all the time now!