Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 1st, 2018, 05:29 PM

Strange Home page address

Since a couple of days, whenever I try to access Firefox I get a website that kooks like a Russian site. This is what I get:
https://mail.ru/cnt/11956636?fr=ffhp1.0.3&gp=834408
I tried to solve it by going to Options , the choosing the home page for Firefox but it only stays like this temporarily. The next time I start the computer, the strange home page reappears. Any suggestion to solve this problem? Thanks.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 01:00 PM

I found out that there was a file with a different name in the program list (in the control panel) which I uninstalled. Also found an add on that I did not have before and deleted it. The problem is solved. Thanks.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 01:18 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Glad you figured it out. Might not be a bad idea to scan for malware and viruses just in case.
Old July 5th, 2018, 03:05 PM

Often when your installing an application, even freeware, there can be ride along browser addons or home page changing apps. The way to avoid this is to always download from a trusted site and if given the choice during installation always choose the Custom install over the (recommended) one. The Automatic or Express (Recommended) choice is usually a sign that there is stuff going to be installed you probably do not want. Sometimes they even come back after a time because uninstalling them leaves files and registry entries behind, allowing the app to put itself back in later on if it can call home. AOL's Real Player used to do that, reinstall itself even if you selected not to.