Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old March 29th, 2018, 11:55 AM

Looking for Photo Editing Apps - Suggestions Wanted

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get into picture editing -- not commercially, but for a Mother's Day gift so I want it to be good. I know Adobe Photoshop is supposed to be good, but do you all have any suggestions for any others? I'm trying to find the best one (and that ideally doesn't cost a lot of money...)

Thanks in advance!
Old March 29th, 2018, 04:46 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
There's so many free ones available, your Operating System probably has one already. A very popular one is GIMP.....

https://www.gimp.org/
Old March 29th, 2018, 06:59 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
one of the best is gimp. I have been using it for years. another one I used in the past is paint.net, the only reason I don't use it anymore is it is not available for linux. I think both are good choices.

https://www.getpaint.net/

a good commerical one is photoshop elements. It does not cost anywhere near the cost of adobe photoshop. it usually runs around 100 bucks.

Last edited by renegade600; March 29th, 2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2018, 08:51 AM

Ah cool, thanks for the suggestions. I have heard a fair bit about GIMP (pretty terrible name though!) and it seems to be one of the best free options. I do a fair bit of work on-the-go, so was also looking at mobile apps too. This article says Adobe Photoshop Express is free... which sounds pretty cool https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/w...e-photo-tools/

Has anyone used that Adobe Photoshop Express app?
Old May 6th, 2018, 05:56 PM

I looked at the specifics of Photoshop Express and I see it as more of a point and click editor than anything more than sizing correcting and adding text. So it's mobile, but not as powerful as a PC app would be when it comes to the intricacies of photo manipulation. And sometimes Free means Free trial. I use Photoshop Elements 2.0 and have for years (Win7 now).
Old May 9th, 2018, 06:23 PM

Try PhotoScape. Has a lot of functions, an easy learning curve, and costs nothing. It won't do what Photoshop or Gimp can do, but is far easier to grasp.
Old May 9th, 2018, 08:46 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
if simple editing like cropping, resizing and such, there is always irfanview.
Old May 11th, 2018, 07:02 PM

Irfanview is free and is quite handy, but it's editing capabilities are minimal. Besides the occasional file resizing, I tend to use it as a viewer. If I want to view a photo or set of photos with Photoshop, I have to wait for it to load all kinds of junk before I can even look at the photo. But with irfanview the file opens immediately. That way I can use it's thumbnail viewer to scan an entire folder or open one and use the right and left arrows to see them in their larger size. Once I find the photo I want to edit I have irfanview set up in the options to allow me to open a file or files with photoshop as a third party app (shift + 1). So I use irfanview set to open all photo file associations and Photoshop resides in my right click menu and has no icon associations for a double click. That means that all types of photo files have the irfanview icon associated with them for a quick double click, but photoshop, gimp or any other superior editor is right at hand.

Last edited by Appzalien; May 11th, 2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old May 12th, 2018, 02:58 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
Irfanview is free and is quite handy, but it's editing capabilities are minimal.
I disagree about the "minimal" part, it has quite a lot of features included. Batch Conversion, Screenshot (including foreground window), Create Thumbnails, Set As Wallpaper, Create Slideshow, to name just a few.

There's another similar program to Irfanview, it has pretty much the same as irfanview, but with even more features....

Xnview
Old May 12th, 2018, 04:34 PM

Lufbra, Batch conversion, screenshots, creating thumbnails, setting wallpaper and creating slideshows are not really editing they're more functions of irfanview. And they're functions I never use. Cropping and resizing are also not as much editing as they are functions as well. Without a clone stamp, move tool, paint brush, dodge or burn tools or eraser, irfanview is definitely limited as an editor and best used mainly as a viewer (irfanVIEW).
Old May 12th, 2018, 04:56 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
irfanview is definitely limited as an editor and best used mainly as a viewer (irfanVIEW).
It is limited, no one said it isn't. But most of the things you have mentioned is editing. Cutting/cropping parts of a picture is editing, re-sizing a picture is editing. adding Emboss/Blur/Pixelating/Plus others is editing.

You may only use it as a viewer, but there's plenty of other this that can be done with it.
Old May 12th, 2018, 04:58 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Noob View Post
Try PhotoScape. Has a lot of functions, an easy learning curve, and costs nothing. It won't do what Photoshop or Gimp can do, but is far easier to grasp.
PhotScape also contains OpenCandy.....

OpenCandy is an advertising software module consisting of a Microsoft Windows library that can be incorporated in a Windows Installer. When a user installs an application that includes the OpenCandy library, it presents offers for additional third party applications that may be unwanted by the user.
Old August 26th, 2018, 09:06 AM

WidsMob Retoucher can be your smart choice. You can get various editing tools to retouch portrait, remove photo noise, analog film effect and apply artistic effect quickly.