Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:59 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
I Was Able To Watch The...

Manchester United/Tottenham Hotspur football/soccer game tonight...The game wasn't all that exciting, but I was disgusted to see the "goal that never was"!!!!

I sure hope they can come up with a better system for this kinda thing!!!
Old January 6th, 2005, 10:47 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
the goal that never was, don't have the slightest what you are talking about but then I don't know a thing about soccer.
Old January 6th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Dan, imagine an Ice-Hockey game, the goalie fumbles the puck over the line into the goal and then scoops it out and the officials are to incompetent to notice. The game ended 0-0 draw.

Lufbra, the only system they need is sportsmanship from the players - you can't tell me the keeper didn't know the ball had gone over the line. He knew he had conceded the goal and didn't own up.
Football doesn't need electronic assistance for ball over line or offside or anything like that. It needs players who care more about the integrity of the sport than their pay-packets.
Old January 6th, 2005, 12:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

Dan, if ever there's a post that you don't know anything about, may I suggest you not replying at all, that way we'd understand that you don't know anything about it, or....could it be a post count thing for you?

Smurfy...

Quote:
Football doesn't need electronic assistance for ball over line or offside or anything like that
From watching the game, and seeing the instant repalay several times you could clearly see the the linesman who would/should have awarded the goal, was in no position to even see that the ball had crossed the goal line. He was still running down the sideline to catch up with the ball...........LOL

Quote:
It needs players who care more about the integrity of the sport than their pay-packets.
After the game, there were goalkeepers (old and new) interviewed being asked if they'd admit to the ball crossing the goal line. Each and everyone said NO!! I agree about the pay packet thing, but that can be said from the other side, the team that didn't get the goal awarded to them, do get pay packets too.

If the goalkeeper had admitted to the fact the ball crossed the goal line, just imagine what his manager would have said to him after the game!!

Like in ice hockey and tennis (maybe other sports too), because of the nature of the sport what with them being a Professional Business, there has to be/should be a Professional way of keeping the sport "on the level".
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

Football as in football or football as in SOCCER? I'm so confused? Why does the US always have to be different? I want the metric system, damn it!

Anyways, about the pay packet thing, good luck finding someone that *truly* cares more about the game than getting paid. When you are talking about 7, sometimes 8-figure incomes, it just doesn't happen. IMHO, they don't deserve that kind of money, not even close.
Old January 6th, 2005, 05:00 PM

It wouldn't actually matter whether the keeper owned up during the game as it's the refs final decision that counts.

It was a non stop discussion on Sky Sports yesterday. They even showed a re-run of an experiment that they did when they put cameras into the goal posts.

It would have definately caught the incident.
Old January 6th, 2005, 07:52 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufbra
Dan, if ever there's a post that you don't know anything about, may I suggest you not replying at all, that way we'd understand that you don't know anything about it, or....could it be a post count thing for you?
Is this not a help forum? If I have a question about something, I will ask. Even if it is of a non tech issue? If you have a problem with me asking questions then what is your problem.
Old January 6th, 2005, 10:50 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
the goal that never was, don't have the slightest what you are talking about but then I don't know a thing about soccer.
What question?

You admit to not knowing the slightest about what was being "chatted" about, but you felt it the need to tell us that you know nothing about it...........Just think if everyone here did this!!

I still stand my post above, and am finished with this thread.
Old January 7th, 2005, 08:51 AM

Hehe Degs, actually I was being deliberately provocative.

The linesman was in line with the play to judge for offsides, where he should have been. It was an adacious shot that the Carroll should have handled in a doddle. I'm still not keen for TV replays to be used but the idea of a Tennis-like "Cyclops" i.e an electronic sensor inside the ball that immediately registers a goal when it passes beyond the line for a goal (or for that matter over the goal-line for a corner or goal-kick) would be acceptable.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?...jectID=9005772
Old January 7th, 2005, 06:41 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy
I'm still not keen for TV replays to be used but the idea
Aye, funny how most kiwi's feel like that. Especially as you only beat us by a "non-try" (well it was only about a yard short and only went forward about two yards in the last pass) during the last match in Arms Park (cant say that milly stadium word - too difficult).

So no joy for me in this post, being a Wales and a Spurs fan!

(Don't rise to the bait Smurfy, only did it coz you were being provocative yourself )
Old January 7th, 2005, 09:58 PM

Ah snurfen, you wouldn't be Welsh if you didn't find something to moan about :P

Fuuniest thing is, Rugby (and League) can use Video replays to decide some things, but not others. Ruling on forward passes and knock-ons in rugby is like ruling on offsides in football (p.s.hypnotizeminds, football is FOOT ball, I still like the name Gridiron for your sport!) or LBWs in cricket. Unless you have a set up of a pair of cameras every 5 meters looking accross the pitch, it's a waste of time, because chances are, you are never going to get the perfect angle to get the ruling 100% right.

p.s. I'm a Man CITY fan (I know, what a fool) when it comes to football.
Old January 8th, 2005, 02:07 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy
Ah snurfen, you wouldn't be Welsh if you didn't find something to moan about :P
Got me taped there then mate!
Your views are quite right, I just can't understand FIFA's intransegence on the fourth official. When there is potentialy so much at stake, particularly as so many footy clubs are in dire financial straights, it seems ludicrous to run a big financial business on a gentleman's agreement formed in the late 1800's.

Back to the rugby, we love the All Blacks coming to Cardiff, win lose or draw, it's always a joy to have the Kiwi folks in town. The previous visit (Lomu's last tour), I was phoned by a girl from Wakatani who used to be my pa YEARS ago. Without knowing I was there,she told me she was in the Stadium. Didn't take long to find her