Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:08 AM

Internet is very slow in Firefox and IE (happened after Firefox upgrade)

It all happened after a Firefox upgrade, 3.6.16 I think. Pages took forever to load, some pages came up "Untitled" and are blank and videos take forever to buffer. I thought getting Firefox 4 would help but it was just as slow so I went back to the version just before the first upgrade (3.6.15).

It seemed to work but things were still too slow. I then tried IE and while it doesn't go as slow as Firefox it still acts slow. I'm not really sure since I don't use IE often (if at all). Before coming here I tried downloading the AVG Freed Edition but it took way too long. And by long I don't mean the downloading process. I never got the window asking me if I wanted to download it. It just said that the download will begin in a moment.

I'm not sure what it could be. I haven't gone to any sketchy sites and according to my History the only other sites anyone in the house has visited are Facebook and GSN.com. Please, please help!
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:39 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
I think it would be a good idea to have your OS checked for infection Cyba so I am moving your topic to our Malware Removal Forum.

Please be patient, someone will help you when they have some free time.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:23 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Sorry for the delay Cyba. Completely missed your thread. Let's take a look and see what all is there.

To make sure you have an accurate view of files there, make sure you can View Hidden Files. Also uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Types"

To keep them from interfering with the repairs, be sure to temporarily disable all antivirus/anti-spyware softwares while these steps are being completed. This can usually be done through right clicking the software's Taskbar icons, or accessing each software through Start - Programs. Here are some antivirus disable tips if needed.

Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.

DDS.scr
DDS.pif

Then click that to run the scan. A window will open while the scan runs, and when it completes two logs will open in Notepad - DDS.txt and Attach.txt. An additional message box will open that you can just X close.

Save those two log files to your desktop (go to File - Save As and browse to your desktop to save each), then post both of them back here please.

--------------

Click here and download the installer for Gmer to your desktop, then click that file to run Gmer.

Once the opening scan finishes, click on Scan (again, before scanning, make sure all other running programs are closed and no other actions like a scheduled antivirus scan will occur while this scan completes. Also do not use your computer during the scan).

When completed, click on the Copy button and rightclick on your Desktop, choose "New" > Text document. Once the file is created, open it and rightclick again and choose Paste. Copy the information and post it here please.

Note - If Gmer shows it has located infection once it's opening scan completes, do not click the Scan button. We don't want hidden malware settings to cause any problems. Instead, just click on the Copy button and rightclick on your Desktop, choose "New" > Text document. Once the file is created, open it and rightclick again and choose Paste. Copy the information and post it here please.

-------------

Also download Gmer's mbr.exe from here and place it on your C drive (so the file is then C:\mbr.exe).

Go to Start - Run, type cmd (and press OK). At the prompt type or copy/paste the following, pressing Enter after each:

cd\

mbr.exe -t

Then type exit and press Enter to close the command window.

The report created in the command window will have been saved to C:\mbr.log. Locate that and post it here please.

A lot of posting, but a good comprehensive look at things there.