Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old November 18th, 2001, 01:37 AM

Help! I think this is CD rom related ?????

don't know if this is a bios problem or a windows problem
or a cd problem! I'm running windows 98 I have about 500mg of ram , a voodo 5 3d card and a soundblaster live card-
I have an AMD K6 2-450 with an ASUS P5A motherboard currently using a Maxtor 30 Gig drive which I just installed- prior to this I had my Lite-on LTN526 running as a slave to a removable drive. I switched my old hard drive to run as a slave to the new bigger one and removed the removable drive. - thus I changed the CD to a Master (with the jumper) and it now runs on its own tape.(as the secondary master) However- now when I boot I get a message that the CDROM was found-LTN526 and then it takes about 5 minutes for it to move on and go to windows-I'm assuming the lag is due to the CD but in fact I'm clueless! Any thoughts?

Old November 18th, 2001, 04:06 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi, try the IDE 1 with just your new HD.
Remove old HD from the cable and BIOS.

Make the new HD a solo drive (remove Slave Present jumper, if it applies).
Double check that Bios Auto detects the new HD setup.

Boot up.

Does that work?

[ 17 November 2001: Message edited by: mike ]