Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 27th, 2011, 02:08 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
old pc wont boot?

can't seem to find the answer in the archives I need,it's probably there I just cant find it anyhow my pc sat for a couple years and when I fired it back up it worked.I set a tune to play and made a coffee,when I came back it was froze/locked up and I had to do a hard kill.Now it won't boot at all and it doesn't find the HDD or DVD.It does find the floppy but I have no floppies to make it find the rest of the hardware.any advise appreciated/thanks It is a custom built P4 3Ghz on a via MoBo.1Gb Ram.Had 2 400Gb S.A.T.A. seagate HDD's but I removed those thinking it just might be the problem and hooked up the original 120Gb I.D.E.western digital. Still no boot.Thanks for any suggestions in advance
Old June 27th, 2011, 07:40 PM

If it sat for a couple of years, then the CMOS battery made be dead. $3 worth replacing to at least rule it out.

You get power right? Doesn't get past the 1st screen (post)? Hangs there?
Old June 28th, 2011, 06:50 PM

that's the first thing I intend to check when I get back to it.thanks!I've been away from all the pc's for awhile and most all of them around here have quit for one reason or another.had to buy this one after lightning got one.thanks again,I'll let you know if that does the trick.
Old June 30th, 2011, 03:26 PM

I would have gone with the cmos battery too, but typically when the battery goes you end up at a screen that says stuff like the clock is off or press F1 to enter setup, like that. A complete failure to boot can be a little more complicated to find. Having a spare battery is a nice thing and they are not too expensive, but since your a builder I would go in and start re-seating stuff if that doesn't do it for you. And check your fans, especially the CPU fan. Even if it spins, if it doesn't spin fast enough or the heat sink got clogged, you could be suffering from a CPU safety shut down with heat issues.
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:26 PM

sorry dual post

Last edited by chg; July 5th, 2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: dual post
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:40 PM

Thanks for that insight Appzalien!The battery was very low but a new one didn't solve my problem.Looks like I get to dig in and track it down through the process of elimination!I'll try reseating everything and get back to you.I get power to the lights and fans and floppy. I get to a screen that says [bad bios checksum] insert system disk.Sorry to say I didn't make a floppy.I do have backup disks but either they are corrupted or not made right,it tells me they are not system disks remove and insert a system disk.
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:31 PM

Take the CMOS battery out and leave out for 5 minutes. This will reset to defaults. Now see if it boots.
Old November 27th, 2011, 06:06 PM

Well I finally got around to it.taking the battery out for 15 minutes didn't work,I've changed everything out except checking every socket on the PSU plugs for voltage.I don't have the meter or know how to use it so all I can think of is reinstalling BIOS,since that could be done with the floppy drive.If that doesnt work I'm out of options.
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:07 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
I've changed everything out except checking every socket on the PSU plugs for voltage.
If you have another PSU (that you know is good), swap it out.

Have you tried doing a min hardware boot? I.E; single drive, keyboard 1 stick of ram, and video?
Old November 28th, 2011, 08:31 PM

Fixed

Alrighty then!Yep I tried all that and no good,soo while brooding about it and fumbling aroud the net for a week I decided to try a drastic move.I managed to look at old posts here and found who made my MB.Went to their site and got new BIOS and a flashing tool.Mucked around for a day trying to get all the pieces just right and finaly got those in and booted just fine.Now if I can just figure out how to get internet into this backwoods neighborhood I can update a few things.