Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old May 22nd, 2010, 01:25 PM

O/S: Linux
I reckon Asus is one of the best motherboards to run linux on
Gigabytes are good too
A few years ago I was running round minimum specs with P3 Celerons and Pentiums
And people would tell me to get P4 spec PCs
So now it has to be P4 spec with DDR ram Ive pensioned off my early socket 478s with SD ram
Anyway people in New Zealand are throwing out there old Dual cores and you can get them cheap and clean all the dust and dirt out of the heatsink or maybe change a ceased fan or a fried PSU
Like Jaytee says research theres hours of research to do
Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:19 AM

Everybody seems to be running around all over the place. He has a slow running Ubuntu.

I found on my old 'Toshiba Satellit M40' with 512mb RAM and Celeron M Processor 1.5Ghz. That 'Ubuntu 10.04' is VERY sluggish.

I installed 'Ubuntu Studio 10.04' instead and found that it works beautifully.
It runs even faster than 9.04 used to run on it.
It also runs faster than 'Freespire 2.0.8' used to run on it.

I don't understand what the Ubuntu-Studio WhizKids did to it, but, I think it is terrific.

Well, thats my penny-worth.
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:21 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Ubuntu 10.04 seems to be having problems on alot of machines that have alot bigger specs than the original poster here. Its not his/her system, its Ubuntu. As with Linux Mint 9 that is based on 10.04. Many people are reporting slow/sluggish systems and many freezes.

However I have been hearing good things about the Studio version as mentioned above. People seem to be having much better luck with it.
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:02 AM

I have been a little more fortunate for some reason as I run a Toshiba Tecra laptop 750 meg ram not sure of age but guess at 8-9 years old (1.6 ghz pentium) Ubuntu 10.4 seems OK other than a sad close system splash screen graphic

Last edited by Jaytee; May 25th, 2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: remove "how"
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:05 AM

Oh. and a sd card reader that does not work
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:48 AM

Well i havent been impressed with 10.04 on my 2gig and 2.8gig systems
My latest creation is a Compaq Evo 2.4 gig hypothreader with one gig of ram and 128mb nividia running 9.10 and it runs great
And thats me i like the older software cause in general it runs faster
Im sure i will get to use my 10.04 machines later in the piece and in the meantime they are handy for music and video
Old June 2nd, 2010, 08:46 AM

Hi Jaytee.
This TotalNoob. Could also (if he is game enough) download either OpenGUE or MonOS 3 or several other distros. All with E17.
Most of them are based on Ubuntu 8.10 at the moment but OpenGUE is due to release one based on Ubuntu 9.04 in June.
These distros take longer to install (about 1 hr on my old laptop with only 512mb RAM).
But, once installed.
They run MUCH faster than Ubuntu 9.04 does on my top laptop (with 4 gb RAM).

They also seem (to me) to produce a monitor picture quality, the like of which I have never had before.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:30 AM

Yes he possibly could.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:24 PM

I was asked if I was trolling, answer no.

Nevertheless, I am ticked that Canonical can't figure out how to market its product or be as user friendly as a for profit company could be -- like the much larger competition does. I read somewhere that Canonical is virtually all engineers and practically no marketing. As a devout fan of "Mad Men" I see that is a mistake on its part. Not only do you need a viable product itself, but you have to know what people want to have and how to persuade new people to buy into it, and marketing bridges the gap from what can be built to what will be bought.

The genius of the smart phone market is that a dummy can do almost everything without a manual. iPod Touches are literally sold with no manual, can or should be able to figure most of it out (it really isn't that easy but may one day get there). If Canonical can do that for Linux, not only more power to them, but they will produce a viable product. As long as they make Linux hard work or leave little surprises, then they won't find takers.

Think of the success of Flip, which is mostly sales and less engineering.

Anyway, the discussion about other people with problems with their Ubuntu 10.4 install further demonstrates that this was not about ranting or picking a fight, just getting some feedback to Ubuntu so they can find out what is going on out here in the less than perfect world without the benefit of focus groups and so on.

Last edited by Total Noob; June 2nd, 2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 02:20 AM

Fair Enough Total Noob.
I just thought that you wanted a good linux for you to use.
Up to and including Ubuntu 9.04 I always found Ubuntu very good - I stress the *.04 because I allways found *.10 to have problems for me.

I have found Ubuntu 10.04 very good on my most powerful laptop.
I have found it to be NBG on any of the 2gb or less computers.

From my internet wanderings it would seem that this is because Ubuntu 10.04 uses 56% more power that win7 does.

That is what caused me to go internet wandering, looking at different distros.
I expect Canonical will fix the problem eventually. Until then we either stay with 9.04 (I think it runs well) or look for something else.

I have several old computers with motherboards which can only support 512mb RAM. So, now that I have found:-
OpenGEU - built over Ubuntu 8.10 and Moon OS-3 - built over Ubuntu 9.04.
Both of them run on Minimum 125mb RAM and fly on 512mb RAM.

I am giving them a try and, maybe, you will too. At least until Canonical fix 10.04.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sladden View Post
Fair Enough Total Noob.
I just thought that you wanted a good linux for you to use.
I do. But I intend to stay a Total Noob because I'm not an IT pro, I work in something else, but want cheap software to power some old computers I really don't want to replace, or machines I can give away to clients.

My option at the moment is Canonical because of that. They have gone the furthest down the road towards a mass OS like Windows or Apple, but not far enough to separate themselves from geekdom of other distros by devising a Linux that is really for a Windows user, namely clerks, secretaries and so on whom you can't train to do complex terminal jobs and software installs from tar and other things.

I'm sure the other choices are pretty good, but I don't have enough time to sort through everything that comes up with them like complex installs, and don't necessarily trust the one man distros to stay in biz long enough to help in a crisis. I do use PCLinuxOS for an old Compaq, but don't put any demands on it and it suffices as music streamer because of a good sound card.

My way of getting good Linux is to give feedback to Canonical, and to anyone else who chooses to listen.

Note that the Ubuntu bugzilla is awful, and sometimes crashes due to overload, so this alternate forum would seem as good a place as any.

Is there a specific way to go back a distro without a complex reinstall that trips up the MBR? If so, I'd delete 10.4 and go back to 9.04, but I also know I will get nagwared to death with the upgrade reminders, a reason I never went for Vista.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:44 PM
CTH Subscriber

You cannot make or expect linux to be what it is not - thinking that it should be is comical. No way you can expect an os to work with every single old computer ever made just because you want it to.

If you are not happy with they way it works, with the type of instructions you get, then there are other operating systems. When was the last time you saw a manual come with windows? It is easy to use because you already know how to use it, each version is built similar so it will have a lower learning curve. Linux is just as easy ONCE you learn it as well as you do windows.

YOu are coming to the linux section to gripe and complain about it because it does not meet your expectations - some will think you are trolling

Last edited by renegade600; June 3rd, 2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old June 4th, 2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Noob View Post
I do. But I intend to stay a Total Noob because I'm not an IT pro, I work in something else, but want cheap software to power some old computers I really don't want to replace, or machines I can give away to clients.

My option at the moment is Canonical because of that.
I too am certainly not an expert.
I also work in something else - retirement - and this, somehow, seems to give me less free time than when I worked for money.

I think that 'Moon OS - 3', being built on the fully established 'Ubuntu 9.04', with full access to Ubuntu stores. And using 'Enlightenment' (Also fully established) as 'Desktop Manager', will still be around long after the current wiz-kids, and we, are not around any more.

Of course Enlightenment has some problems and is still being developed but perfection is impossible and I don't think there is any software without problems and not still being developed.

Anyway, I like 'MoonOS' because it is Ubuntu and extremely low power. Meaning that most of my old family computers are coming back to life.
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
You cannot make or expect linux to be what it is not - thinking that it should be is comical. No way you can expect an os to work with every single old computer ever made just because you want it to.

If you are not happy with they way it works, with the type of instructions you get, then there are other operating systems. When was the last time you saw a manual come with windows? It is easy to use because you already know how to use it, each version is built similar so it will have a lower learning curve. Linux is just as easy ONCE you learn it as well as you do windows.

You are coming to the linux section to gripe and complain about it because it does not meet your expectations - some will think you are trolling
I agree exactly with Renegade.
However if you really think Mark and His company Canonical are doing a bad job with the Linux development then Open Suse (Novell) Fedora 13 (Red Hat) and Vector are all pretty slick systems that work really well without any influence (other than peripheral) from Canonical... :/

Last edited by Jaytee; June 4th, 2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: too many ands
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:18 PM

The line

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
YOu are coming to the linux section to gripe and complain about it because it does not meet your expectations - some will think you are trolling
There is a line between trolling/griping/sniping and "talking truth to power" with constructive criticism. Since I'm not picking a fight, I'm on the correct side of the line. Just want to be clear.

Also, just because Linux is free much of the time doesn't mean we're not allowed to have high expectations for it. We watch TV for free and that doesn't mean we can't say a given show isn't good enough and here's how it gets better.

Though I have run into any number of people who are super touchy on the Linux subject when you know they would not be touchy on criticism involving Ford vs. Chevy, Texaco vs. Amoco, or McDonalds vs Burger King (though anybody could be touchy on Yankees vs. Red Sox, Man U vs Chelsea, Michigan vs. Ohio State or Labor vs Conservatives).