Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:50 PM

Fan far too loud

Recently, all of a sudden my fan has gotten far too loud and is spinning much faster than before. I have a ASUS P5LP-LE Emery-2 motherboad, is there a program or method which allows me to turn down my fan speed.
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:11 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Spinning faster and louder could be a sign of other problems, such as overheating. Do you know which fan is spinning fast? The one on top of the large metal heatsink (CPU), or a small one on the motherboard (chipset)? What is your CPU temp, you can use speedfan to see this.
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:35 PM

CPU temperature is 62.0 C, this is when the machine is idle with minimal CPU usage. How can i bring this down?
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:45 PM

Seems you are overheating, yes......OK, open up your computer and clean out all the dust, preferably with a can of compressed air, paying particular attention the the CPU fan and heatsink. Now with the case still open turn on the computer, is the fan spinning properly?
Old April 13th, 2007, 06:58 PM

I have opened up my computer and cleared out most of the dust, the problem seems to be the fan on the cpu, as soon as i try to do anything cpu intensive like opening a program, it starts spinning quicker and the cpu heats up. Here is a screenshot whilst idle:

As you can see the thing which worries me is the AUX voltage which seems to be in red, but i have no idea what that is. Recently my computer suffered a major motherboard error in which the bios were corrupted, i had to have the motherboard replaced, and the fan/cpu has been acting up ever since the technician replaced my motherboard.
Old April 13th, 2007, 07:52 PM

O/S: Windows 98 SE
OMG, (sorry for the off topic post) But what operating system is that? it looks so awesome, I've never seen or used Vista so is that Vista?
Old April 13th, 2007, 08:08 PM

Off topic indeed.....that is not what Vista looks like by default (if it even is Vista), it looks like the "dock" of Mac OSX, so my guess would be it is some program that is made to simply emulate the look of OSX

I know nothing about voltages

Well, your CPU fan could be dieing......let's try and disable anything such as AMD's "Cool and Quite" which could be messing up. When you first boot your computer hit 'del' or a similar key to get into your BIOS, search for and disable "Cool and Quiet" or anything of the like in there (try looking under the hardware, H/W, CPU, or Cell menus) If the temp is still up then you may need to replace the fan