Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old March 4th, 2019, 01:22 PM
Banned

Why are all microsoft products so bad?

Thank you for reading this. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on an HP desktop P6710f.
I have windows media player installed, but cannot figure out how to find and tell you the Version I have.

I have created a few Audacity Audio files, and exported them to the computer as MP3 files. They play fine in Windows Media Player. I am hoping they will also burn fine in WMP.

The problem is this: I gave them stupid names to begin with.

I was easily able to click on each audio file and RENAME.

However, when I now click on these RENAMED files, to play them in WMP, they move to WMP and list as the OLD NAMES NOT THE NEW NAMES.

They also will not list in WMP as I want them to, in numerical order, as the new names are all starting with a number.

This is a screaming agony of frustration.
Old March 5th, 2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Why are all microsoft products so bad?
They aren't. Clearly there's some user bias going on here.

Plus, lets not forget you are complaining about an OS that came out 10 years ago and has been superseded twice (3 times if you count W8 and W8.1 separately) and mainstream support for Windows 7 ended over 4 years ago!

Why do you assume the problem is with Microsoft and not Audacity? Or not with MP3 which is NOT a Microsoft file format?

When you renamed them, did you keep the same file extensions (the .xxx part of the file names)?
Old March 5th, 2019, 06:39 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
They aren't. Clearly there's some user bias going on here.

Plus, lets not forget you are complaining about an OS that came out 10 years ago and has been superseded twice (3 times if you count W8 and W8.1 separately) and mainstream support for Windows 7 ended over 4 years ago!

Why do you assume the problem is with Microsoft and not Audacity? Or not with MP3 which is NOT a Microsoft file format?

When you renamed them, did you keep the same file extensions (the .xxx part of the file names)?
First of all, you IMPLY that "bias" is somehow unreasonable. When it is based
upon two decades of first hand experience, it is not unreasonable.

Sounds like YOU have unreasonable bias, some kind of shill for Microsoft.

Every MS product I've ever used has given me problems, especially MS Word.
Thank effing god for Open Office!

Who cares when it came out? So what? When it came out, were you saying that Windows Media Player will not work on it? No? Then how can you defend that fact now?

I KNOW the problem is not with Audacity because WMP has done similar things in the past, RENAMES files by itself, to the point where I simply quit using it because it became impossible to find anything in the library.

I strongly suspect this was DELIBERATE to discourage people from putting their CD collections onto a Windows computer.

I would at least grudgingly consider upgrading a Microsoft OS, if at least I could keep the interface exactly the same.

I have invested literally tens of thousands of hours, YEARS creating "muscle memory" of how to use XP, and then Win 7.

There is NO REASON to change an OS interface except emotional stupidity on the part of programmers and market manager *****s.

I despise the look and feel of Windows 10 and would rather hug bill gates than ever use it.

You ask if I "kept the file extentions" when I changed the names.
These NEVER HAD file extensions in the names.

I created a file in Audacity, selected "export as MP3" and typed it a name.
It then went to a folder on my desktop.
Something weird happened and after using these fine for a while inside WMP, every file became the SAME NAME.
I presume this was a keystroke mistake by me.
Evidently MS has thousands of hidden keystroke garbage the destroys what you are working on if you make even one tiny mistake.

At any rate, I went into desktop, changed all the names back to original, and closed that folder, re opened it, and tired to import these tracks again into WMP.

Nope, this time it's giving everything old garbage names, making the whole thing worthless, useless.
Old March 5th, 2019, 06:45 PM
Banned

The WHINE EXCUSE I hear is "Oh, we HAVE to take your money for a new version of Windows, because hackers have found the holes in the version we sold you before"

Well, if the HACKERS can find those holes WHY EXACTLY didn't you fix those flaws
BEFORE YOU SOLD ANYONE YOUR FAULTY SOFTWARE??????????

If anyone sold a car that broke down within a week and had to go back to the garage every day, and was useless within a year, that car company would be burned to the ground by an angry mob. And rightfully so.

Yet we tolerate PURE **** software instead of putting programmers in prison
where they belong.
Old March 5th, 2019, 07:38 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanandrew3333 View Post
First of all, you IMPLY that "bias" is somehow unreasonable. When it is based
upon two decades of first hand experience, it is not unreasonable.

Sounds like YOU have unreasonable bias, some kind of shill for Microsoft.

Every MS product I've ever used has given me problems, especially MS Word.
Thank effing god for Open Office!

Who cares when it came out? So what? When it came out, were you saying that Windows Media Player will not work on it? No? Then how can you defend that fact now?

I KNOW the problem is not with Audacity because WMP has done similar things in the past, RENAMES files by itself, to the point where I simply quit using it because it became impossible to find anything in the library.

I strongly suspect this was DELIBERATE RAPE to discourage people from putting their CD collections onto a Windows computer.

I would at least grudgingly consider upgrading a Microsoft OS, if at least I could keep the interface exactly the same.

I have invested literally tens of thousands of hours, YEARS creating "muscle memory" of how to use XP, and then Win 7.

There is NO REASON to change an OS interface except emotional masturbation on the part of programmers and market manager *****s.

I despise the look and feel of Windows 10 and would rather murder bill gates than ever use it.

You ask if I "kept the file extentions" when I changed the names.
These NEVER HAD file extensions in the names.

I created a file in Audacity, selected "export as MP3" and typed it a name.
It then went to a folder on my desktop.
Something weird happened and after using these fine for a while inside WMP, every file became the SAME NAME.
I presume this was a keystroke mistake by me.
Evidently MS has thousands of hidden keystroke garbage the destroys what you are working on if you make even one tiny mistake.

At any rate, I went into desktop, changed all the names back to original, and closed that folder, re opened it, and tired to import these tracks again into WMP.

Nope, this time it's giving everything old garbage names, making the whole thing worthless, useless.
You've been whining for days on this forum, and good people have tried to help you, but all you do is come back with stupid replies, and now you're accusing a respected member of this forum of being a shill for Microsoft.
Nobody forces you to use Microsoft products. If you don't like them go to Linux. I'm sure somebody as "smart" as you can figure it out.
Just saying...
Old March 5th, 2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I strongly suspect this was DELIBERATE RAPE to discourage people from putting their CD collections onto a Windows computer.
Oh wow! Tin foil hat time.

Microsoft doesn't care if users put their CDs on their computers. For the record, I have transferred over 3700 tunes from more than 440 CDs onto my computer and WMP plays them just fine. A quick Google search even reveals several Microsoft links showing how to do it with WMP - like this one. Of course I did not try to rename any of them with "stupid names".

Yes, I am defending MS in this case - as I will for any one, product, or company that is falsely or unfairly accused. If you had done any checking, you would have easily seen I am one of their toughest critics too when they mess up - which they certainly have done many times.

The fact is, the developers at MS are some of the top in the industry. The problem at MS typically is due to meddling fingers from the marketing department and bean-counters.

For the record, I've been using MS Word since Word for Windows 1.0 for DOS. Currently with 2016 now. Works fine for us here. I suspect operator error and dinking with the defaults in your case.

There's a reason Word supplanted Peach Text, WordStar and WordPerfect and still dominates over those products and LibreOffice and OpenOffice. And there is a reason Windows dominates over all other PC operating systems combined and it is not because Microsoft products are bad.
Quote:
I despise the look and feel of Windows 10 and would rather murder bill gates than ever use it.
Well, you are lucky you didn't spew such hate, hostility and violence towards another at one of the sites where I am on the staff or you would be gone.

But to your comment, it just illustrates ignorance on many fronts. For one, it is simple (and free to a whole $5) to make W10 look and feel like W7. For another Bill Gates has not been involved in the the day-to-day running of MS for well over 10 years and in software development for longer than that. And for another, W10 was offered to all Windows 7 and Windows 8 users for free for well over a year. So how is that financial rape?

Yes, there should be no bugs, but when you can produce a bug-free operating system that has over 30 million lines of code that supports ~700 million computers that became unique computers within minutes of first boot with no problems, let us know. I will bow to your supremeness. In the meantime, I recommend you educate yourself to learn the facts before spewing such biased nonsense that hardly makes you look... ...informed.

I agree with IPR512. Since it is clear in your mind Windows will never support your needs, I urge you to go with one of the many free versions of Linux. Except for playing some of the latest games, there is very little you cannot do with a properly set up Linux box.
Old March 5th, 2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Well, you are lucky you didn't spew such hate, hostility and violence towards another at one of the sites where I am on the staff or you would be gone.

Right on Bill. Quiet or not this forum doesn't need rude, nasty, ignorant blowhards like him.
Old March 6th, 2019, 12:37 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Guess what? I'm about as tolerant.

A user's failure to comprehend MP3 format file tags isn't the software vendor's fault. WMP is displaying the data attached to the file, not the file name. Most media players do this by default. Most can also be configured to display filename if the user wants to, if they are too lazy or to stupid to figure out how to update the file data to match the file name.
Old March 6th, 2019, 02:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPR512 View Post
You've been whining for days on this forum, and good people have tried to help you, but all you do is come back with stupid replies, and now you're accusing a respected member of this forum of being a shill for Microsoft.
Nobody forces you to use Microsoft products. If you don't like them go to Linux. I'm sure somebody as "smart" as you can figure it out.
Just saying...
In other words I'm an idiot.
Old March 6th, 2019, 02:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Oh wow! Tin foil hat time.

Microsoft doesn't care if users put their CDs on their computers. For the record, I have transferred over 3700 tunes from more than 440 CDs onto my computer and WMP plays them just fine. A quick Google search even reveals several Microsoft links showing how to do it with WMP - like this one. Of course I did not try to rename any of them with "stupid names".

Yes, I am defending MS in this case - as I will for any one, product, or company that is falsely or unfairly accused. If you had done any checking, you would have easily seen I am one of their toughest critics too when they mess up - which they certainly have done many times.

The fact is, the developers at MS are some of the top in the industry. The problem at MS typically is due to meddling fingers from the marketing department and bean-counters.

For the record, I've been using MS Word since Word for Windows 1.0 for DOS. Currently with 2016 now. Works fine for us here. I suspect operator error and dinking with the defaults in your case.

There's a reason Word supplanted Peach Text, WordStar and WordPerfect and still dominates over those products and LibreOffice and OpenOffice. And there is a reason Windows dominates over all other PC operating systems combined and it is not because Microsoft products are bad.

But to your comment, it just illustrates ignorance on many fronts. For one, it is simple (and free to a whole $5) to make W10 look and feel like W7. For another Bill Gates has not been involved in the the day-to-day running of MS for well over 10 years and in software development for longer than that. And for another, W10 was offered to all Windows 7 and Windows 8 users for free for well over a year. So how is that financial rape?

Yes, there should be no bugs, but when you can produce a bug-free operating system that has over 30 million lines of code that supports ~700 million computers that became unique computers within minutes of first boot with no problems, let us know. I will bow to your supremeness. In the meantime, I recommend you educate yourself to learn the facts before spewing such biased nonsense that hardly makes you look... ...informed.

I agree with IPR512. Since it is clear in your mind Windows will never support your needs, I urge you to go with one of the many free versions of Linux. Except for playing some of the latest games, there is very little you cannot do with a properly set up Linux box.

Everything I've said is Documented FACT. I'm an idiot.
Old March 6th, 2019, 08:01 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanandrew3333
You think I don't know how to change my IP address and get around a forum ban?
Yes I do think you don't know how to change your own IP address.
Quote:
Originally Posted by you (as adambarnes)
No idea what you are talking about.
Pretty much sums you up in a nutshell.
Old March 6th, 2019, 04:44 PM

Thanks smurfy.
Old March 6th, 2019, 04:52 PM

Thanks for getting rid of that idiot.
Old March 27th, 2019, 10:39 PM

Hmmm - might be time to lock the thread.
Old March 27th, 2019, 11:09 PM

Yep, I was thinking the same thing.
Closed Topic