Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 18th, 2004, 04:41 AM

Windows 98 Se issues

I'm trying to install this damn D link DFE 530Tx Network card. I follow the instructions, I slide the card in an available PCI slot and boot up and install the drivers. Nothing. I try another slot and try to use the Add New hardware feature in the control panel to do it manually, reboot, still nothing. Here's the OS issue:

Now whenever I reboot, I don't get the usual system information I used to, rather I get the Windows logo and then black screen with this:

------"Cannot find the device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application.
The Windows registry or System.INI file refers to this device but the file no longer exists.
If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using it's uninstalling program
If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling the application to replace the missing file

Vnetsup.VxD

{Above text}

vredir.vxd

{Above text}

DFS.vxd"------

Then Windows loads and I get this error message:

----"Unable to load the dynamic link library MSNP32.DLL

The systen cannot find the file specified.

Some or all of the following feature is not available:

Microsoft Network"----

I'm running Windows 98 se, P 3 computer with 700 Mhz and 128 ram. What could be the reason for this? I removed the Dlink card drivers as well as the card itself and rebooted several times. No dice. Thanks for any and all help.
Old January 18th, 2004, 05:01 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi MistahMan,
See if the information in these MSKB article is helpful in resolving the problem:

(says that it applies to Windows 95, but it may also be just as applicable to Windows 98)
Old January 18th, 2004, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretaP
Hi MistahMan,
See if the information in these MSKB article is helpful in resolving the problem:

(says that it applies to Windows 95, but it may also be just as applicable to Windows 98)
Thanks for the links, worked perfectly. The only thing tho is now I have this icon on my desk that I didn't use to have, Network neighborhood. How do I get rid of this?
Old January 18th, 2004, 04:09 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
You're welcome for the links. I'm glad that it worked perfectly to solve the problem

As for Network Neighbourhood, you didn't use to have that icon on your desktop because you didn't have Client for Microsoft Networks installed. I believe that TweakUI will "hide" this icon if you select that option under the Desktop tab (it's been quite a while since I have used TweakUI, so I'm not certain the exact navigation to hide this desktop icon). If you don't have TweakUI installed, you can d/load it from here .
Old January 19th, 2004, 04:09 AM

Qrestore

Hi all
Let's retry, dammed thing timed out last time..

This thread was great. I had the exact same startup problem. Started with installing a modem incorrectly.

Solution #1 was done, the messages remained (perhaps to disappear after doing #2). When trying to figure out where to extract msnp32.dll to, I found a folder created the day of my boo-boo (C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Q312339) with 100 files. All the missing files were there.

There is a file called Qrestore (dos name QRESTORE.REG) that is a "Registraton Entries" file (also in the above directory). It brings up a bolded MERGE command as first choice on the right click menu.

Will this file restore my missing files, including those I didn't know about?

If this is not an option, where exactly should I extract msnp32.dll to in my windows directories (...\system ??)

Thanks for any help, it has been already (my isp tech help, the modem people, said I would likely have to reload windows...... glad I looked elsewhere)

Fenderbender (rick)