Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 29th, 2003, 09:06 PM

wrong drive letters

not sure if I have already asked anyone here, so I will ask again. I have just installed a asus p4c800-e deluxe mb, a radeon a9600xt vb & a plextor px 708a dvdr.I also added a maxtor 6y160po hdd as primary, used my old ibm ddta 372730 hdd as slave. I have set up the dvdr as master on the secoundary ide slot and the zip as slave. When I boot and check the bios settings it shows the drives in the right places, when I check my computer in windows xp pro it shows the local drive as e: the dvdr as d: zip drive as c: and the 31/2 as a: and does not show the other hdd. I have checked the drives in partition magic and it shows the maxtor hdd as the master but in drive e: and it shows the ibm hdd as the slave but with the drive letter as (*.). Any ideas of how to change the drive letters to the correcxt order and to recognize the slave hdd?
Old December 30th, 2003, 08:06 AM

drive letters

RonS try this and see if it works.

Open Command Prompt.
Type:
diskpartAt the DISKPART prompt, type one of the following:
assign letter=L

At the DISKPART prompt, type:
list volume

Make note of the number of the simple volume whose drive letter you want to assign, change, or remove.

At the DISKPART prompt, type:
select volume n

Select the volume, where n is the volume's number, whose drive letter you want to assign, change, or remove.

Where L is the drive letter you want to assign or change.

remove letter=L
Where L is the drive letter you want to remove.

Value Description
list volume Displays a list of basic and dynamic volumes on all disks.
select volume Selects the specified volume, where n is the volume number, and shifts the focus to it. If no volume is specified, the select command lists the current volume with focus. You can specify the volume by number, drive letter, or mount point path. On a basic disk, selecting a volume also gives the corresponding partition focus.
assign letter=L Assigns a drive letter, L, to the volume with focus. If no drive letter is specified, then the next available drive letter is assigned. If the drive letter is already in use, an error is generated.
remove letter=L Removes the drive letter, L, from the volume with focus. If no drive letter or mount point is specified, then DiskPart removes the first drive letter or mount point it encounters.
The remove command can be used to change the drive letter associated with a removable drive. You cannot remove the drive letters on system, boot, or paging volumes. In addition, you cannot remove the drive letter for an OEM partition, any GPT partition with an unrecognized GUID, or any of the special, non-data, GPT partitions such as the EFI system partition.