Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old May 11th, 2018, 06:13 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
is a previous owner's ssid conflicting with my router

I have tried everything imaginable to to be able to use a preowned laptop to connect wi fi without success, I have just read that the SSID on the pc may confuse the router by having my old and my new SSID and rejecting one or the other and being un able to connect. It is suspposd to be in Manage Wireless Networks wherever that is.
Old May 12th, 2018, 02:18 PM

No. Something else is wrong. A notebook should be able to connect to many different networks with no problems. People do this all the time. For example, they connect at home, then again at work, then again at school, then again at the coffee shop, then again at home at the end of the day. Each of those networks would use a different SSID.

I note you say "laptop", then you say "PC". While a laptop is a "personal computer", a "PC" is generally considered to be be "fixed" (not mobile) "desktop" computer. So to avoid confusion, it is best not to mix terms.

If you can see your network from your laptop, you should be able to connect to it. What happens when you try?
Old May 12th, 2018, 05:44 PM

The network is shown as secured,I then selelect Connect ,this brings up Unable to connect to this network.I am using a laptop which I thought was interchangeable with the term PC.
Old May 12th, 2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I am using a laptop which I thought was interchangeable with the term PC.
Again, a laptop is a "personal computer" so yes, it is a PC. But to say PC when talking about a laptop/notebook can cause confusion because PC is the general term commonly used for a desktop or tower computer. It matters because notebooks are so different from PCs. They have batteries for one, and built in keyboards, monitors, and more.

A PC is a PC. But a PC might not be laptop.

A smart phone could easily be considered a personal computer too. So can a tablet.

FTR, I try to remember to say notebook instead of laptop because a laptop should NEVER sit on your lap. It should always sit on hard, flat surfaces so cooling air can circulate underneath.

Did you enter the correct passphrase to access your network?
Old May 12th, 2018, 06:51 PM

Yes I did enter the correct passphrase What does FTR mean ?
Old May 12th, 2018, 07:04 PM

In forums, chats, text messaging, etc. FTR typically means "for the record".

I recommend you delete all networks from this computer, reboot, then search for and add yours again and see what happens.