Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old December 7th, 2014, 03:15 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
disk usage for 2 user accounts

A couple months ago I took advice I've read often and created a standard user account which I use routinely, saving the admin account for when I need it. Today I was surprised to find that my C: partition is almost full (13GB free out of 101GB). Working as my standard user, I went looking for where all my disk space went and couldn't find it: Adding up everything in my C: partition, I come up with only about 55GB used.
I never work as admin unless I'm installing something that Windows won't allow as the standard user. Does the fact that I have 2 user accounts explain where all my disk space went?
Old December 7th, 2014, 04:13 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
No.. The only difference between user accounts is the desktop shortcuts and rights, in your case. All the programs are the same weather your using admin or the standard user account.
Where are you seeing this:

Right click on "My Computer" then to "Manage" then click on "Disc Management to view your hard drive which will show; Capacity and free space.

Windows updates keep on the drive after installing taking up space. You can remove them;

Start | type cleanmgr (enter)

Disk cleanup will ask you where windows is installed

Now check which files you want removed;

Windows Update Cleanup
Temporary Files
Whatever else you don't want

Should clear up some space

Next you can get rid of old Restore files and Shadow Copies, click on the More Options TAB at the top and select "Clean Up" under System restore and Shadow copies. This will delete all but recent of each.

Let us know if this cleared up some needed space.
Old December 7th, 2014, 04:55 AM

Thanks for your reply.
That actually only cleaned up about 11 more gigs. Now I have about 23 GB free out of 101, when it looks like I should have 40+ free.

Last edited by jLittle; December 7th, 2014 at 05:23 AM.
Old December 7th, 2014, 06:33 PM

I found Treesize Free, which showed me several items that were accounting for the missing disk space (22GB). I had used FreeCommander XE to check the size of folders in the C: drive, but it didn't show the items that Treesize did.
Thanks for your help.