Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old November 25th, 2013, 10:38 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Question Acct desktop messes up

not sure if posting this in right place...
computer is Dell Inspirion running Windows 7.. we have four logins on the computer..three are used with passwords and one is a guest... two of the logins have never had a problem but one has had their files corrupted and had to be all redone...and the other night, the person logged into her acct/desktop and several folders were missing... the last time it happened, they never came back... this time.. after signing off, and back on this morning, it all was there okay...
What causes this to happen and when it does, if the folders don't show back up on the desktop after a reboot.. is there a way to get them back on the desktop and clean it up without having to recreate a whole new acct?
I'm not sure if explaining it right... it's just when they sign into their desktop, things disappear sometimes they come back and sometimes they don't..

thanks
Barbara
Old November 25th, 2013, 04:25 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Your user profile is a collection of settings that make the computer look and work the way you want it to. It contains your settings for desktop backgrounds, screen savers, pointer preferences, sound settings, and other features. User profiles ensure that your personal preferences are used whenever you log on to Windows.

A user profile is different from a user account, which you use to log on to Windows. Each user account has at least one user profile associated with it.

Icons or files on the desktop are shortcuts to the specific program or file for each user account.

Windows 7 has a built in task schedule that will clean up unused shortcuts periodical, this could be the problem.

To prevent the task from running you need to disable the task in the task scheduler:

1.Start-programs-accessories-system tools-task scheduler

2.Expand the tree in the left hand pane until you get to Task Scheduler Library-Microsoft-Windows-Diagnosis.

3.In the right hand pane, right click the task named Scheduled and click Disable.

The relevant word in this is UNUSED so a shortcut that has not been used in the past 7 days may get cleaned up
Old November 28th, 2013, 07:33 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Thanks Murf.. I will check that out.. appreciate the reply...

have a great day and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family

Barbara