Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old November 3rd, 2013, 11:12 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Disk Read Error

This is one of the worst error messages to get, I've tried loads of suggestions, even reverting to a Back-up from June.
In trying all these things I realised that every time I had my "Norton Ghost Recovery Disk" in the DVD drive the Computer started OK.
So I tried
No disk = disk read error message
Blank disk = disk read error message
Film dvd = disk read error message
Random program disk = disk read error message
Norton Ghost Recovery Disk = no error and the computer starts OK.
My boot order was CD, HD, Floppy, So I took out the option to look at the CD but that made no difference.
It seems to me something is telling the computer to look at the CD Drive and as long as it can read the dvd it starts.
This happened first about a week ago, but then seemed to be alright until Friday when it is now doing it all the time.
I can leave the Norton disk in the drive as an immediate solve, but I need to find out what is wrong in the long term.
This is driving me nuts, Helllllp !!!
OK. I had a thought about these disk's in the drive the Norton Disk is a Bootable disk and the others weren't.
So I tried my Motherboard driver disk, My windows installation disk, My office installation disk and the computer started every time.
So it would seem it is not a particular disk, but it does need to be a bootable disk to not get the error.
When it says press any key to boot from DVD/CD I just ignore it and it carries on booting ok.

Last edited by Merv Wiz; November 3rd, 2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Further information.
Old November 4th, 2013, 01:24 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Get into your BIOS SETUP (1st screen tells you how, usually a "Del" or a "F" key. Once in there find the menu item that pertains to boot order or priority. If the CDROM is 1st change it to Hard Drive, make the CDROM #2. Save and Exit.
Old November 5th, 2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Get into your BIOS SETUP (1st screen tells you how, usually a "Del" or a "F" key. Once in there find the menu item that pertains to boot order or priority. If the CDROM is 1st change it to Hard Drive, make the CDROM #2. Save and Exit.
As detailed in my original post I've already tried that.
Old November 5th, 2013, 11:11 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
You need to run start up repair, run it twice no matter what it says. This should correct the boot order, which I think is the problem.

To run start up repair; Use the Windows disk and select Start up Repair when you get to that window.
Old November 6th, 2013, 09:21 PM

I've also tried that to no avail. once, twice and three times.
I've Tried starting the Hard Drive and the DVD in every possible order.
It will only boot properly if there is an "Executable" CD/DVD in the drive.

Last edited by Merv Wiz; November 6th, 2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 10:36 AM

As seems to be normal with my problems, No One has ever had the same problem and therefore there is no help that actually cures the problem.
I ran Seagate tools on the drive, no problems reported, but it now has cured it self and is booting OK.
Old November 24th, 2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
but it now has cured it self and is booting OK.
My guess is running "repair" corrected the issue. Thanks for coming back and reporting it is booting OK now (assuming without a disk in the optical drive). I would immediately backup any data you don't want to lose, and keep a current backup handy, just in case this is a sign of bad things to come. Do note ALL hard drives WILL fail - eventually.