Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old August 24th, 2003, 01:13 AM

DSL speed with a modem?

I keep seeing ads for "services" that promise DSL speed with just a 56 K modem. Sounds too good to be true. Pros and cons?
Old August 24th, 2003, 03:04 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista
Well I have not tried it but here Netzero explains how their hi-speed service works. (It is cheap too, $15, but if you have a second phone line the overall price may not be much less than dsl or cable)
Old August 24th, 2003, 06:01 AM

Thanks enat66. It may be as I suspected, not a great idea. Here is what they say, quoted from the Netzero site, and my thoughts in response:

How does NetZero HiSpeed work?

Data Compression and Image Optimization - Before the text and graphics that make up Web pages get sent to you over your phone line, NetZero HiSpeed compresses them using a proprietary technology. Less data is sent so the download of pages and your surfing experience are that much faster!

(Sounds like this means the data you ultimately get is compromised: blurry pictures, lousy game play, etc. You get it faster because you literally get less. Compressed means edited, something is taken out, isn't that right?)

Memory Enhancement - In addition, NetZero HiSpeed also uses caching technology to stores elements of the Web sites you visit frequently so you do not have to re-download them every time you visit these sites. So in addition to an immediate boost, your surfing will get even faster as you continue to use NetZero HiSpeed.

(This sounds suspiciously like loading you up with cookies, something that is happening anyway, and not necessarily desirable. You are going to pay someone to help a site feed you a cookie?)

Continuous Optimization - NetZero HiSpeed continuously optimizes the communication between your system's modem and our network while you are online. That means that is always working to shorten the amount of time it takes to connect you to the sites you visit.

(Sounds like this just means it keeps switching you around to different access numbers. And if they are long distance, well, tough luck.)

(All of this is pure speculation on my part, and the speculatinon of a novice at that. On the other hand, I had Juno/Netzero briefly, as a regular isp connection, not a speed connection, and hated it.)
Old August 24th, 2003, 07:15 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista
Sounds like this means the data you ultimately get is compromised: blurry pictures, lousy game play, etc. You get it faster because you literally get less. Compressed means edited, something is taken out, isn't that right?

(Image Optimization can cause that...it depends how much they optimize it...for example you probably wouldn't notice a change if the colors were slightly reduced slightly reducing the image size. I doubt that it would be good for gameplay and I don't know if any of the features would actually work with games.

This sounds suspiciously like loading you up with cookies, something that is happening anyway, and not necessarily desirable. You are going to pay someone to help a site feed you a cookie?

Not exactly cookies...I think you are using the wrong word. Chacheing pertains to saving certain parts of a webpage on your harddrive so you can veiw it quicker next time you visit it. You computer should already do some cacheing but I assume that the Netzero cacheing is improved.

Sounds like this just means it keeps switching you around to different access numbers. And if they are long distance, well, tough luck.

I don't know about that...I really have no clue...why don't you ask them.

So in my opinion it probably will not be the same as DSL in the end but I do suggest you try to find some opinions about it. I found this reveiw

Good Luck.
Old August 25th, 2003, 11:53 AM
CTH Subscriber

While it might improve surfing slightly I would be surprised if it would do anything for downloading files, most downloads are already compressed and additional compression wouldn't have any effect
Old September 10th, 2003, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven.Bentley
While it might improve surfing slightly I would be surprised if it would do anything for downloading files, most downloads are already compressed and additional compression wouldn't have any effect
Try it for yourself, there is a seven day free trial if I am not mistaken. I was very favorably impressed. Joi Express WORKS, at least with my system, and I have a V92 Modem. Might be worthwhile carefully examining their page on surfing and talking at the same time.
Old September 10th, 2003, 09:49 PM
CTH Subscriber

I'm still skeptical. It doesn't work on Macs otherwise I might be tempted to road test it