Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old June 1st, 2011, 01:04 AM

Windows explorer appcrash - comctl32.dll

I get the 'stopped working - appcrash, module comctrl32.dll' message box on bootup. Only options close explorer.exe; I'm left with a black screen with only a cursor - no desktop or taskbar. Ctrl-alt-del results in same message box except prog is task manager. Safe mode gives same result. Safe mode cmd prompt gives command line that works except I haven't found any progs or services that work. No restore points - I don't know why. I have run the avgscanx virus scan with no viruses found. I connected the hard drive to my desktop and scanned for viruses -- found none. Chkdsk corrected minor inconsistencies - nothing major. What can I do?
Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:17 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Can you check the filename please John. comctl32.dll is a Windows file however comctrl32.dll is not and may indicate an infection.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:27 AM

I apologize. Filename was a typo -- it is comctl32.dll.
Thanks.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:47 AM
CTH Subscriber

No problem. Ok, we need to access the Recovery Environment. Do you have a Vista DVD or was Vista preinstalled on this computer?
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:32 AM

Vista was preinstalled, but I did try the Vista Repair option of the boot menu. No help there - it couldn't fix it.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 05:44 AM
CTH Subscriber

Ok, boot into the Recovery Environment again and instead of Startup Repair, choose Command Prompt. Very carefully, type the below command after the prompt including spaces (x represents the drive letter of your Vista installation as seen in the Recovery Environment).

Code:
sfc /scanfile=x:\windows\system32\comctl32.dll /offbootdir=x:\ /offwindir=x:\windows
Read and print this tutorial before starting.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:38 PM

SFC results: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Should I run SFC offline with the /scannow option to check all?

Thanks.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:46 PM
CTH Subscriber

Yes, using the below command (x represents your drive letter as before).

Code:
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=x:\  /offwindir=x:\windows
Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:51 PM

SFC acted like it was going to check them, said it would take some time, but then returned this result: "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."
Old June 4th, 2011, 05:16 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hmm, I wonder if there is a problem with your hard drive.

Boot into the Recovery Environment and open a command prompt again. Type:

chkdsk c: /r

after the prompt and hit Enter. It will take a while to run but keep an eye on it. Did it find any errors on the volume and are you still unable to boot into Windows?
Old June 6th, 2011, 02:02 AM

I apologize for the delay in getting back here -- busy weekend.

Chkdsk found no problems (I had run chkdsk before posting this problem and only found minor inconsistencies), but this time it did include an error at the end of the summary:
"Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50."
Old June 6th, 2011, 09:36 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hmm, I replied earlier but there appears to have been a glitch of some sort with our database.

Quote:
Chkdsk found no problems (I had run chkdsk before posting this problem and only found minor inconsistencies), but this time it did include an error at the end of the summary:
"Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50."
That's standard when you run chkdsk from within the Recovery Environment John.

Unfortunately, this doesnt leave us with options. A Startup Repair didnt fix the problem, you have no Restore Points and SFC wont run.

I can only suggest that you backup any important data (if you can) and try restoring to Factory Default.

To back up your data you will need to attach a USB drive with capacity to hold your files and boot back into the Recovery Environment and open a command prompt. Type:

C:\windows\notepad.exe

Hit Enter and Notepad will open. Go to File Open and where it says Look In, if Vista is on your C drive, change the directory to OS (C: ) or to whatever drive letter Vista is installed on. Next, change the Files of Type to "All Files". You will now be able to navigate through your drive and save files to the USB drive. Rightclick on the file you want to save and choose Copy. Navigate to your USB drive, rightclick again and choose Paste.