Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old December 24th, 2010, 02:53 AM

Computer reboots multiple times before finally starting

It shows a "keyboard error or no keyboard present" in the event log and the computer keeps taking a few reboots to start up fully. This is the only thing that's coming up though.

I've gone through several tests. The hard drive is fine, I did a memtest and that is fine, I added more ram anyway because there was only 256mb and I'm still getting the over and over reboot.

I tried using another keyboard and this keeps happening.
Old December 24th, 2010, 03:40 PM
CTH Subscriber

What are your system specs? are you using a ps2 or usb keyboard? is it a standard or multimedia keyboard? Are you getting any errors during the post part of the boot-up or just when windows loads? which windows OS are you using?
Old December 24th, 2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
What are your system specs? are you using a ps2 or usb keyboard? is it a standard or multimedia keyboard? Are you getting any errors during the post part of the boot-up or just when windows loads? which windows OS are you using?
Dimension 2350 768 RAM 1.8 processor anything else?

A ps2 and standard.

I'm not getting any errors when booting. It just keeps rebooting like 6 times before it starts up fully. I go into BIOS to look at the event log and it's ful of "keyboard error or no keyboard present"
Old December 24th, 2010, 05:28 PM
CTH Subscriber

What OS and service pack?

I'm a bit confused, Let's see if I got this right. During post you get the following error onscreen *keyboard* *error* or *no* *keyboard* *present'*, the system reboots a few times then finally boots into windows.

If the above is correct, See if you can enable USB legacy support (if available) in the bios, and try a usb keyboard. (ps2 port may be starting to fail)
Old December 24th, 2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
What OS and service pack?

I'm a bit confused, Let's see if I got this right. During post you get the following error onscreen *keyboard* *error* or *no* *keyboard* *present'*, the system reboots a few times then finally boots into windows.

If the above is correct, See if you can enable USB legacy support (if available) in the bios, and try a usb keyboard. (ps2 port may be starting to fail)
Windows XP Service pack 2

No. I don't see any errors while booting. After it tries a few times I go into BIOS and view the Event Log and then it shows the errors.

I just tried it with a USB keyboard and it is still rebooting multiple times however, NOW there are no keyboard errors.

Some more info. My diagnostic lights start up with amber A and C then change to A and D then go green, then reboot.

Last edited by aethera; December 24th, 2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old December 24th, 2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickykittaneh View Post
It occur due to several problem like 1. Your computer is not passing POST 2. Poor or inadequate power supply 3. Bad Hard Drive 4. Other hardware problem.So have to cure about the your system.Scan the virus daily so that It will be helpful to you as soon as possible.
What are you talking about? I have to cure about my system? Do you mean care? And how is scanning for viruses in anyway related to a possible hardware malfunction? Furthermore, this computer was just completely wiped clean and received a new OS.

The PSU could be not going great and thus not supply enough power to the motherboard. I'm about to go test that. But it's not BAD. If it were completely dead the computer wouldn't start at all. I already noted that it takes several boots to start, not that it wouldn't start.
Old December 24th, 2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdascofernan View Post
There seems to be a problem with your ROM or with your RAM, if your bios settings are not needed to configure again and again than there must be a definite problem with your RAM and need to replace
I already did that. I said that in my opening post. I also took out the old RAM and just used the new RAM to no avail.
Old December 25th, 2010, 03:45 AM
CTH Subscriber

aethera, rickykittaneh & verdascofernan seem to be bots or trolls, I would ignore them for the time being.

Here are the Diagnostic color codes for that model. I'm thinking that since those lights "flash" as part of the normal bootup, and they turn green while trying to load the OS, the problem is somewhere in windows.

You said you ran tests on the drive, did you run chkdsk /r from the cmd window? If not, open a cmd window type in chkdsk /r, answer yes to both questions that pop onscreen then reboot.

Are you using an oem or retail copy of xp? Are all hardware drivers up-to-date (latest available copy). Have You tried booting into safe mode and does the pc do the same thing? To boot into safe mode press F8 right after the system post but before windows loads, use the arrow keys and select safe mode If the pc boots into safe mode without the "re-starts", then the problem is most likely a bad/incorrect device driver install. If it still does the "re-starts" the issue may be a corrupted system file. The easiest way to fix that is to do a repair install from the xp cd.

** just an FYI. Proprietary systems (dell, Compaq, Gateway, HP, etc) are not known for using quality PSU's, and taking into consideration that the system is at least 5 years old (if not older) there's the possibility that the psu can no longer keep up during sustained drive activity. (I've had it happen a couple of times, and it can be a pain to pin down)

Last edited by MaDef; December 25th, 2010 at 03:54 AM.
Old December 25th, 2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
aethera, rickykittaneh & verdascofernan seem to be bots or trolls, I would ignore them for the time being.

Here are the Diagnostic color codes for that model. I'm thinking that since those lights "flash" as part of the normal bootup, and they turn green while trying to load the OS, the problem is somewhere in windows.

You said you ran tests on the drive, did you run chkdsk /r from the cmd window? If not, open a cmd window type in chkdsk /r, answer yes to both questions that pop onscreen then reboot.

Are you using an oem or retail copy of xp? Are all hardware drivers up-to-date (latest available copy). Have You tried booting into safe mode and does the pc do the same thing? To boot into safe mode press F8 right after the system post but before windows loads, use the arrow keys and select safe mode If the pc boots into safe mode without the "re-starts", then the problem is most likely a bad/incorrect device driver install. If it still does the "re-starts" the issue may be a corrupted system file. The easiest way to fix that is to do a repair install from the xp cd.

** just an FYI. Proprietary systems (dell, Compaq, Gateway, HP, etc) are not known for using quality PSU's, and taking into consideration that the system is at least 5 years old (if not older) there's the possibility that the psu can no longer keep up during sustained drive activity. (I've had it happen a couple of times, and it can be a pain to pin down)
Well I took the tower to another house and swapped out the power supply and then it booted fine. So I assume the power supply wasn't giving enough power to the motherboard. I had noticed that it seemed to be running really slow and not moving air much at all. Some people said if it wasn't going to work it just wouldn't work, some said they thought it was that. I'd checked everything else and that, meh I might as well. If it were clean it probably would have been the motherboard. So I'm glad it was just the power supply.