Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 16th, 2008, 06:56 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Windows Update KB 948109 (Security update for Microsoft SQL Server 2005)

Hi,

I am having real problems with this Update in that it fails to run

My os is Win XP Home SP3, and when I open SQL configuration tool, I have two instances of SQL Server;- SQL Server and SQLExpress Server.

I don't know much about this but I think what uses these instances is Autodesk Inventor and Microsoft Visual Studio which are both installed on my laptop.

What happens is automatic updates detects this update is needed,when I click on the icon, the update initialises ok but fails upon install... this process repeats endlessly

I have checked this out and people have had similar problems but none of their fixes have fixed mine. Here's what I did: -

1) I have enabled all the services that I already manually disabled in msconfig, restarted PC and tried again -- no joy

2) I have manually tried the update itself from Microsoft but still comes up fail.

3) Using the SQL Config tool I have started both services (SQL and SQLExpress) then tried the download -- still no joy

However upon manually downloading the update, by installing it this way I get more detail about the problem and have narrowed it down to the SQLExpress service.

Further than that I haven't a clue

Please Help and Thanks in Advance

P