Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 5th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Unhappy unable to acces administer desktop

i was deleting/removing programs, and accidently restarted computer.
now i am unable to get into my desktop--to do system restore--tried to do system recovery on my hp windows xp---nothing..
i have a guest account, but i am unable to access system restore because guest account is limited access.
guest account will show desktop icons, and get on line...
mine wiil show nothing just my background picture, no icons, not even the start menu...
please help
Old July 5th, 2006, 12:30 PM

O/S: Linux
in your account try crtl-alt-delete

Then look for the new program button and type explorer.exe
Old July 5th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Try booting into the main, usually hidden, Administrator account:

XP Home: This account is accessible only in Safe Mode. To boot into Safe Mode, start repeatedly pressing and releasing the F8 key as the computer starts booting up. If it starts beeping at you every time you press the F8 key, you can stop pressing it. At the Welcome screen, you should see the Administrator logon. Click on it.

XP Pro: At the welcome screen, press Ctrl/Alt/Del twice to bring up the Administrator logon prompt.

Once you have the Administrator logon available, if you passworded it (most people don't), enter the password. Otherwise, leave the password field blank and press the Enter key.

In the Administrator account you have full control over the operating system. You can run System Restore or just set up a new account with administrative privileges and copy your data from your old account. Instructions for doing that are on this page.