Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012

Notices

Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012 Problem solving for the NT, Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2012 Operating Systems

Topic Tools
Old January 7th, 2006, 10:48 PM

Weird weird problem. Making a connection?

Hi. Thanks to anyone who is reading this. I have this strange problem where I have no clue where to begin fixing it. Recently, due to DirectX problems I had to reinstall windows. I didn't do a clean install, just reinstalled windows over the existing files. (im running windows 2000 professional btw). When it finished, i had to make another connection to the internet through the network and connections folder. But at the last step, where it asks me to name my connection, no matter what i name it, it always says that the name i have entered is invalid, and that the name must contain at least one character, not begining with a space or period. but i have given it a thousand names and no matter what i do, it won't let me name my connection, therefore, not letting me have a connection, therefore, not letting me online.. And it isn't like i can update windows because i need to get online to do so, and my sister has a mac with no cd burner so i can't download any applications to try and fix it. Any tips?
Old January 12th, 2006, 03:51 PM

O/S: Windows 2000
Hmm, a bad computer or domain name might cause this I think. Something like a space maybe? What is the exact name of the PC and Domian or Workgroup?

-Dave
http://spyware.dugancom.com
http://www.ccallinfo.com
Old January 13th, 2006, 02:56 PM

If you re-installed Win 2000 over the old Windows installation it shouldn't matter as it requires a reformat each time you install a 'fresh' copy. I assume you installed a 'fresh' copy or did you just "repair" the old Windows installation?

If I was you I would completely reformat the computer and re-install Win 2k again from scratch. On start up enter the set up menu where there should be an option to reformat. Good luck.