Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old November 23rd, 2013, 12:43 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Unhappy Drive Not Recognised

I have a Western Digital Drive that has suddenly disappeared, It does Not show in Disk Manager, It does Not show in Device Manager and it does NOT show in the Bios.
Now the weird thing is it shows up and is accessible when put into a docking station.
Any Ideas ????

ps. When in the docking station I ran diagnostics from W.D. and it found there were no problems at all.

Last edited by Merv Wiz; November 23rd, 2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: extra information
Old November 23rd, 2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Any Ideas ????
Loose data or power cable - swap data cable and change to a difference power cable. Bad drive interface - change ports.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 11:23 PM

I did that but the drive I swopped it with (the interface cable sata) is not now showing, it also knackered the MBR.
It took ages trying different things (Mostly under Paragon Drive Manager)but I now can boot ok, it's almost as if there is a restriction on the number of drives. I had 5 but which ever way I swop them about only four show (And it is the first four connected) I've checked all the drives with propriety software from Western Digital and Segate and all drives come up with no errors and no problems. I've also tried new sata cables. At this time I have sacrificed the least needed drive and the other four are OK.
Old November 24th, 2013, 12:21 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
if they were all internal, then the power supply may not be able to handle all of them. Maybe place the extra one in a case and use it as an external.
Old November 24th, 2013, 04:11 PM

Is this problem related to this problem?
Old November 24th, 2013, 08:43 PM

No I had already sorted that out and was running OK. I don't think it is the power as I have a 950watt power supply and have been using all five drives for a long time.
Old November 24th, 2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
if they were all internal, then the power supply may not be able to handle all of them. Maybe place the extra one in a case and use it as an external.
I don't think it is the power as I have a 950watt power supply and have been using all five drives for a long time. they are all internal.
The very strange thing is I tried the drive in my brothers XP Computer to see if it was visible but got the same result Not seen anywhere but after plugging it into the Freecom drive reader it was there.
Then he had the same problems, now one of his drives won't show up, and again it is a 500GB Western Digital Sata Drive.
Old November 25th, 2013, 03:18 PM

It now seems OK.
What I did was notice that the drive/drives giving trouble were coming up as "Dynamic" drives, so I cleared the drive, converted it to a basic drive, then formatted it and it now seems to be working Ok.

Solved, Closed.