Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 11th, 2013, 03:43 AM

I cannot boot from my SSD?

I just bought windows 8 and a new SSD today, I installed windows 8 on my old hd then did a data migration to my new SSD. Once I rebooted it said there was an issue with the boot file and that I should insert my bootable disc and restart. Once my windows 8 disc was in I restarted and the same thing happened... Now with my old drive as the first priority in my bios my computer runs but not off of my SSD as I wish it would.
First of all I'd like to understand why I can't simply install windows 8 onto my SSD without having to go through with the migration process (just a clean install) and how come there are no boot files on my SSD?
Old August 11th, 2013, 04:25 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
In your SYSTEM BIOS settings is ACPI SATA mode enabled (not IDE)? You can do a fresh install to the SSD drive if you want, you will have to install all the programs as you just cannot copy them.

You unplug the other drives, just leave the SSD in and boot from the Windows 8 DVD, should install, once all that is done then you plug your other dives in.
Old August 11th, 2013, 04:57 AM

Thanks for the reply. However, I looked in my bios for such an option and I was not able to find it. Also, a fresh install would be my preferred method but when I unplug my other drive and have my windows 8 cd in and set my bios to boot from a disc it does the exact same thing. Would a picture of the error screen be any indication of what the root of the problem is?
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:06 AM