Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 30th, 2013, 03:59 PM

yep the HP and the toshiba you listed was what i was looking at.... i cant believe the toshiba goes up to 16gb, must have one of those SD little cards that holds more memory, i wonder..or just holds 2 sticks of 8 or 4 of 4.... I see you threw the AMD model in there.....how do you think that model AMD measures up or compares........the guy said the toshiba has ram modules that add to memory no sd card.....

so what do you feel is the big difference with the 2 ?? besides what you mentioned, is the AMD processor faster then intels on that HP, but HP has more cache.. whats the L2 and im guessing this AMD model is a new updated current processor and you dont like the shared memory i presume

Last edited by nancy361; May 30th, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old May 30th, 2013, 05:11 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Basically L1 and L2 cache is built into the processor, L3 is built into the motherboard, however, some of the newer Processors have L3 built in.. Cache memory is a high speed memory kept between the processor and system memory to increase data flow (execution speed)

L1 is the fastest cache and typically ranges in size from KB to 64KB

L2 cache comes between the L1 and RAM (processor-L1-L2 RAN) and is bigger then the primary cache typically 64MB-4MB.

L3 cache is getting more common, it is kept between RAM and L2 cache. So if the system has L1, L2, L3 cache data fetching will be L1-L2-L3-RAM (system memory), If data is not there in L1 then it checks L2 then L3 then RAM..

Basically fetching information from cache is a lot faster then getting it from System Memory (RAM)

Shared memory is OK if you have plenty of memory. Let's say you have 4GB system memory and your video shares 1GB that leaves 3GB for the operating system to use. In larger memory systems that is not a problem, obviously smaller memory system it can task the system.

Typically laptops only have two memory slots. The Toshiba has 2 and each slot can hold up to a 8GB module or 16GB

Whereas the HP also has two memory slots and each can hold up to 4GB or 8GB, so it comes with 1 stick of 4GB and 1 stick of 2GB=6GB (as they don't make 6GB memory sticks-to my knowledge).

Both HP and Toshiba are good laptops.

AMD newer processors include;

A4, A6, A8, A10 a comparison can be found HERE

So when looking at a LAPTOP factors to consider;

1. Weight (if your going to carry around)
2. Screen size (how big you want it)
3. Amount of Memory
4. Video capabilities
5. User reviews

Obviously how do you intent to use it;

Video editing you need one that has plenty of memory and in particular Video memory. - Same for gaming and graphic intensive software like Photoshop

Also some of the newer Laptops are now using LED screens rather than LCD, the difference being that LED tend to be more energy efficient and that the brightness of the LEDs can be changed quickly. LEDs are low voltage devices and physically smaller then the conventional CCFL backlights that a LCD screen uses, thus the screen can be thinner and a higher voltage inverter is not required.

Damn, this thread is turning into a book....
Old May 30th, 2013, 05:22 PM

hahaha well you should write books with your knowledge!!!

well im tossing up between the 2 for now....the HP has a bigger HD and it is the 3rd gen i3 and does have up to 8gb mem, and a big screen and itll only be used here in our office type room with desk, its not for going all around the house, into the liv rm if anywhere.....the toshiba is same screen size, way more memory to expand a smaller HD and its the AMD....i think it said it has the LED screen, im trying to read about the 2 processors and the cache they have, the HPs and the toshiba to see for my everyday use, which would be best

seems the battery life on the satellite is longer if i do use it with wifi and in another room....HP isnt long battery life.... as i said before, a laptop for me/us is simply losing all the plugs and wires and having just one thing on the desk, frees up space no wires all over, serves the purpose for our use....and since ill have it here with my DSL modem, i can take the battery out and just use the hard connection with ethernet cable....thats 1 cable and the power cord thats fine with me....if we go to another room, then we go wifi and use the battery..

Last edited by nancy361; May 30th, 2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old June 10th, 2013, 11:31 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Hey Nancy
Just curious, have you settled on a laptop yet?
Old June 10th, 2013, 02:14 PM

i like the HP at staples...havent gotten it yet though....not sure what im waiting for, hahaha...maybe im still a bit reluctant on win 8, who knows....ill work it out
Old June 10th, 2013, 05:39 PM

I received an e-mail from Costco the other day, and they were advertising some HP laptops that had Windows 7 on them. Don't know if you're a member, but in case you are you might want to have a look at some of the Windows 7 ones they offer here:
http://www.costco.com/Computers-CustomizeLaptop.html
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:25 PM

IPR512, my first computer was an 8088. It belonged to my father. My second one came in parts from an online friend who built computers for his local friends. I went to my guru's who lives in Massachusetts by train, the computer packed up. He showed me how it all goes together and the next computer came and I had to put the mother board in. Do you know, it took an entire day putting it in the case. All the books said to be careful and not to knock it, etc. My guru was on the phone long distance the entire time, talking me thru it. He has been terrific thru all my exploits with computers. Now, he has a computer with Windows XP amd I now have a new rebuilt HP with Windows 8.

Now, about my experiences with Windows 8. It has been said by someone somewhere that if you have been using computers for a while, especially if you are "older," don't get Windows 8. I agree. Switching to Windows 8 has been similar to learning to use an android phone or tablet. Actually, my take on Windows 8 is that Microsoft is trying to keep up with the Jones. My Android phone was a pain to learn. Windows 8 is worse! I haven't figured it out, yet.

The biggest change is look. You boot up to the lock screen where you log in with your Microsoft password. I did find a cool screen that hides the login until clicked on. Next comes the Start Screen that takes the place of the Start menu. Now we have names of things like calling icons charms. However, once you click on a charm, the OS goes to the
Desktop as it opens the program. In File Explorer the icons are back. To find things like shut down/restart and the programs that have been loaded but are not on your Start Screen, do not be afraid to move the curser around the screen to corners and down the sides and right click here and there. Then it's like a treasure hunt. I have had this computer for 1 month and I am still searching for all of the treasure. Even with a map I am not having much luck.

That is my unprofessional take on Windows and my experience installing a mother board the first time.

Later,

Jill
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:30 PM

Nice to hear from you Jill.
I've been tinkering with the idea of building my own, but unfortunately I no longer have a "guru" to help me as he passed away a few months after he helped me build the one in my signature.
I've had some health problems lately that are distracting me so I'm not starting any new projects until I know I'm going to be around long enough to enjoy the fruits of my labor.
If, and when I get a new computer I doubt I will go with Windows 8. I also have some old software that works fine on Windows 7 that won't work on Windows 8 so that's another issue.