Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old January 20th, 2013, 05:17 PM

C:\ is not accessible access is denied Location is not available (Pop Up)

Hello people,
I hope somebody can put me in the right direction here.

For some unknown reason i have come to my computer and whenever i click on the C: My computer or any icon on my desktop or try and edit any file (delete etc) i get the pop up message C:\ is not accessible access is denied Location is not available.

I thought this might have something to do with user accounts however I am the only user and administrator of the laptop and have all wrights, box's ticked.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old January 24th, 2013, 10:05 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
1. Navigate to My Computer" double click then
2. Right-click on the drive C and choose Properties.
3. Click the "Security" tab and see if your current user is listed in the "Group or user names" list. If not, please click the Add button, type the name of your current user in the "Enter the object names to select " box, then click "OK" to add this group.
4. Select the user from the list and then check the "Allow" checkbox next to "Full Control".
5. Click the Advanced button and click the "Owner" tab. Then, press "Edit" button.
6. Select current user from the list and check the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" checkbox.
7. Click "OK" to save changes and wait for Windows to transfer the ownership of all the objects on the partition.
8. Click OK again to save changes and exit the Properties window.

May be the problem...
Old January 25th, 2013, 04:21 PM

admin

Hi, I think you have just cured my problem!!!

I knew it was something todo with wrights and admin but what i did not know!!

I think (fingers crossed) its working

May i ask how you know so much about windows and computers? where did you learn it all??

I take it that its your job?

kind regards
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:21 PM

Thanks for letting us know that was the problem. BTW: I am retired and have a lot of time on my hands, been moderating forums for over 15 years. Was a microsoft MVP for 10 years and received my MCSE in Windows certification a long time ago. Started learning Windows with 3.0 version, ah just a few years ago lol.

CTH is a great forum, stick around and you will learn as you go.
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:41 PM

life

My apoligies for my little knowledge but what does the MCSE in Windows stand for?

Did you used to work in IT development?

Im only 24 and live-in the UK so only know my basic pc usuage skills, but still i think how the format coding that is used to put the whole programs together is amazing. And that such small file changes can cause such disaster

Ive been reading the threads on here for quite a while but never needed to post or couldnt of really answered and problems so hadnt registered.
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:15 PM

MSCE = Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert

If you really want to get into it, then the 1st place I would start is A+ certification. There are several ways to get the certification, but it is the starting point for developing a IT career. A good resourse for reading:

http://certification.comptia.org/home.aspx

Another good resource:

1.Download free Blue Pelican Java by Charles Cook from www.bluepelicanjava.com

It has 57 easy chapters in a pdf file.

2. Download the free javasdk file (make sure its the sdk) from www.java.sun.com and install it first.

3. Download the free JCreator LE edition IDE from www.jcreator.com
and install second.

Start JCreator and enter the HelloWorld.java program on lesson 1 of Blue Pelican Java textbook. There are many free books out there. Just google "free Java Tutor textbook pdf file

And NO I never worked in the IT field, I am self taught.