Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:28 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
System Clean up Utilities

I have been reading many posts, where they say you should NOT use these system clean up utilities, such as Advanced SystemCare Free 5, because they change the system registry sometimes not for the better.
If that is true, why is it then, that over 71,000,000 have downloaded this product.
Can all these people be wrong? If so how do you or should you maintain your pc.
Thanks.
Running win 7
Old November 18th, 2011, 12:34 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Using a utility to clean your registry is potentially dangerous. However, if you know what you are doing they are fairly safe. 71,000,000 people have downloaded it because they didn't ask the question here first. I use CCleaner to clean my registry but I always check every key before it deletes them and I also back up all my changes just in case I miss one. Also, what makes many of those programs dangerous is that they don't let you see the changes that are made.

As far as maintaining your PC, defrag on a regular basis (win 7 does this automatically) occasionally delete your temp files if they get too large and don't download shady software. This forum is a great place for advice if you have any questions as to what programs are safe and which aren't.